Jun 6, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Via Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants have activated Matt Cain from the 15-day disabled list in time to make tonight’s start against the Mets. To clear room on the roster, the club has designated lefty David Huff for assignment.
Cain went on the disabled list retroactive to May 22 with a strained right hamstring. The Giants had hoped he was healthy enough to make last Saturday’s start against the Cardinals, but decided to be cautious and give Cain the time he needed to recuperate.
Cain, 29, resumes his season with a 3.66 ERA and a 39/17 K/BB ratio in 46 2/3 innings across eight starts. He’ll be opposed by Jonathon Niese for tonight’s match in San Francisco.
Huff, 29, posted a 6.30 ERA with an 11/6 K/BB ratio over 20 innings out of the bullpen.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)