Jun 6, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Earlier, Craig wrote about Orioles pitcher Johan Santana potentially having an Achilles injury. It’s worst case news: Santana tore his Achilles tendon and is out for the season, ending his attempt at a comeback, MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports. The injury, obviously, puts his major league career in doubt.
Santana, 35, reportedly suffered the injury retrieving a ball that hit him. He had been working his way back from left shoulder surgery. The lefty signed a minor league deal with the Orioles in March which would have paid him $3 million if he was able to work his way back to the majors. The O’s had recently purchased his contract and placed him on the 15-day disabled list, signifying progress.
Santana last pitched in the majors in 2012 with the Mets, posting a 4.85 ERA in 117 innings over 21 starts. If his playing career is done, he’ll quit a two-time Cy Young award winner with a career 3.20 ERA and 1,988 strikeouts in 2,025 2/3 innings.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)