Jun 6, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Earlier, Craig wrote about Orioles pitcher Johan Santana potentially having an Achilles injury. It’s worst case news: Santana tore his Achilles tendon and is out for the season, ending his attempt at a comeback, MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports. The injury, obviously, puts his major league career in doubt.
Santana, 35, reportedly suffered the injury retrieving a ball that hit him. He had been working his way back from left shoulder surgery. The lefty signed a minor league deal with the Orioles in March which would have paid him $3 million if he was able to work his way back to the majors. The O’s had recently purchased his contract and placed him on the 15-day disabled list, signifying progress.
Santana last pitched in the majors in 2012 with the Mets, posting a 4.85 ERA in 117 innings over 21 starts. If his playing career is done, he’ll quit a two-time Cy Young award winner with a career 3.20 ERA and 1,988 strikeouts in 2,025 2/3 innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)