Mark Teixeira is . . . really funny. Who knew?

Jun 6, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT

mark teixeira getty Getty Images

If you had told me that Mark Teixeira would do a fake talk show skit a la Zach Galifianakis and that it would actually be funny I would have said you were lying because, well, he’s Mark Teixeira and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him even smile before.

But he did one on YES Network, it’s called “Foul Territory,” his interview subject is YES’s Jack Curry and it made me laugh out loud. Especially when he says “I don’t really like green tea? Because I’m a man.”

Check it out:

(via Deadspin)

1. thomas844 - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Wow, that was surprising! Legitimately funny.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM

That was great. Reminiscent of Chris Farley’s fan boy interview with Paul McCartney, but with a little Borat mixed in.

• commonsenseisnotcmonman - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM

beat me by a minute :)

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM

“Do you remember that interview you did with me last season? Yeah, that was awesome”

“I was there, Mark”.

“Dammit, I suck….I can’t believe this”.

“Mark, you’re doing fine….you are.”

“Okay, so do you remember the interview you did with me last season?”

• asimonetti88 - Jun 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM

That is absolutely what I was thinking of! Man those were great skits.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:11 PM

remember? when you sang? um, that the love you take? is equal too the love you make? Um, is that true?…

Awesome!

3. commonsenseisnotcmonman - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM

This was great.

Craig, I was picturing more of “Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney”.

4. xpensivewinos - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

That was awesome. I’ve always liked Teixeira………..I guess now I know why!

5. nobody78 - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM

The opening bit — “It’s doesn’t work; it’s too small” — was hilarious.

6. cur'68 - Jun 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Texiera’s sense of the absurd and deliberately awkward delivery is excellent. There are people who make their living doing that kind of thing and aren’t as funny at it.

7. bigyankeemike - Jun 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

If you click through, check out the other interview with Tanaka and his interpreter. Good stuff. I love at the end…”If I want to shake his (Tanaka’s) hand, do I shake your (interpreter’s) hand and then you shake his?”

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate