Mat Latos says the Reds forcing him to make another rehab start is “bogus”

Jun 6, 2014, 5:47 PM EST

mat latos reds getty Getty Images

Mat Latos left his third minor-league rehab start with a calf injury Wednesday at Triple-A, but the injury is apparently a non-issue and today Latos expressed displeasure with the Reds keeping in the minors for another start.

In fact, Latos told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that “it’s pretty bogus I have to go on another rehab assignment” and added:

I don’t make the decisions around here.┬áBut it it is what it is. I’m a puppet on a string. I get told to do what I need to do and I do it.

Latos is an emotional guy, so it’s possible those quotes come across more harshly than he intended, but clearly he’s not happy with the situation and is itching to make his 2014 debut after missing time with knee, flexor, and now calf injuries.

Fay reports that the Reds simply want Latos to throw 90-100 pitches, which he was supposed to do before the calf injury led to an early departure Wednesday.

1. xdj511 - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Now I want to go watch Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure again. Bogus.

2. 13yrsmlbvet - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Shut up and do your job, jack off.

• chinahand11 - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I LOL’d at the comment.

3. mazblast - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

He keeps getting hurt, and getting hurt again each time he rehabs the previous injury. Then he has the audacity to criticize management for wanting him to make through ONE rehab start of the length of the standard major league start. If he hadn’t gotten hurt (AGAIN) during his last start, management wouldn’t be “forcing” him to make this one.

Perhaps Latos should have taken the money he put into those ugly tattoos and put it into getting a working model brain.

Oh, and while you’re at it, Mat, try getting your wife to not get drunk and pick fights with fans on the road. Matched set with a combined IQ of 140.

• carpi2 - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM

So, you’re telling me Latos is a classy, well read guy?

4. nolasoxfan2012 - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

If only he could transfer some of that drive to get on the field over to Joey Votto…

• hoopmatch - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

It’s possible that Votto doesn’t play with “drive,” but it’s not necessarily absent because you can’t see it.

5. chinahand11 - Jun 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM

And this is the Mat Latos we all knew and loved in San Diego. Sorry, Reds fans.

6. yahmule - Jun 6, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Channel that hatred at batters when you’re back up, big guy.

7. metalhead65 - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM

here is an idea Matt, how about you shut your mouth and do what you are told to do? you have gotten paid an obscene amount of money for doing nothing this year. I know it is hard for you to understand that it is not all about but it really is not. you see they have to make roster moves before they activate you and before they do that they need to see if you can pitch more than 3 innings before you come up with another “minor” set back and have to put you back on the dl. the reds management has not done much right this year but this is one move I agree 100 percent with.

8. moogro - Jun 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Master of puppets, I’m pulling your strings
    Twisting your mind, and smashing your dreams

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6361)