Jun 6, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Mat Latos left his third minor-league rehab start with a calf injury Wednesday at Triple-A, but the injury is apparently a non-issue and today Latos expressed displeasure with the Reds keeping in the minors for another start.
In fact, Latos told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that “it’s pretty bogus I have to go on another rehab assignment” and added:
I don’t make the decisions around here. But it it is what it is. I’m a puppet on a string. I get told to do what I need to do and I do it.
Latos is an emotional guy, so it’s possible those quotes come across more harshly than he intended, but clearly he’s not happy with the situation and is itching to make his 2014 debut after missing time with knee, flexor, and now calf injuries.
Fay reports that the Reds simply want Latos to throw 90-100 pitches, which he was supposed to do before the calf injury led to an early departure Wednesday.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (128)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)