Jun 6, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Mat Latos left his third minor-league rehab start with a calf injury Wednesday at Triple-A, but the injury is apparently a non-issue and today Latos expressed displeasure with the Reds keeping in the minors for another start.
In fact, Latos told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that “it’s pretty bogus I have to go on another rehab assignment” and added:
I don’t make the decisions around here. But it it is what it is. I’m a puppet on a string. I get told to do what I need to do and I do it.
Latos is an emotional guy, so it’s possible those quotes come across more harshly than he intended, but clearly he’s not happy with the situation and is itching to make his 2014 debut after missing time with knee, flexor, and now calf injuries.
Fay reports that the Reds simply want Latos to throw 90-100 pitches, which he was supposed to do before the calf injury led to an early departure Wednesday.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29