Jun 6, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Mat Latos left his third minor-league rehab start with a calf injury Wednesday at Triple-A, but the injury is apparently a non-issue and today Latos expressed displeasure with the Reds keeping in the minors for another start.
In fact, Latos told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that “it’s pretty bogus I have to go on another rehab assignment” and added:
I don’t make the decisions around here. But it it is what it is. I’m a puppet on a string. I get told to do what I need to do and I do it.
Latos is an emotional guy, so it’s possible those quotes come across more harshly than he intended, but clearly he’s not happy with the situation and is itching to make his 2014 debut after missing time with knee, flexor, and now calf injuries.
Fay reports that the Reds simply want Latos to throw 90-100 pitches, which he was supposed to do before the calf injury led to an early departure Wednesday.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)