Jun 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
Orioles right-hander Miguel Gonzalez is headed to the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and they’ve called up prospect Kevin Gausman from Triple-A to replace him on the roster and in the rotation.
Gausman has struggled in the majors so far with a 6.10 ERA in 52 innings between last season and this year, but the former No. 4 overall pick is one of the best pitching prospects around and has excellent raw stuff including a mid-90s fastball.
This could be the opportunity Gausman needs to stick in the big leagues at age 23, although with a 3.68 ERA in 335 career innings Gonzalez has certainly pitched well enough to rejoin the rotation whenever he’s healthy.
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 58
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 88
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 13
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)