Jun 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
Orioles right-hander Miguel Gonzalez is headed to the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and they’ve called up prospect Kevin Gausman from Triple-A to replace him on the roster and in the rotation.
Gausman has struggled in the majors so far with a 6.10 ERA in 52 innings between last season and this year, but the former No. 4 overall pick is one of the best pitching prospects around and has excellent raw stuff including a mid-90s fastball.
This could be the opportunity Gausman needs to stick in the big leagues at age 23, although with a 3.68 ERA in 335 career innings Gonzalez has certainly pitched well enough to rejoin the rotation whenever he’s healthy.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)