Jun 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Orioles right-hander Miguel Gonzalez is headed to the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and they’ve called up prospect Kevin Gausman from Triple-A to replace him on the roster and in the rotation.
Gausman has struggled in the majors so far with a 6.10 ERA in 52 innings between last season and this year, but the former No. 4 overall pick is one of the best pitching prospects around and has excellent raw stuff including a mid-90s fastball.
This could be the opportunity Gausman needs to stick in the big leagues at age 23, although with a 3.68 ERA in 335 career innings Gonzalez has certainly pitched well enough to rejoin the rotation whenever he’s healthy.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)