Jun 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Orioles right-hander Miguel Gonzalez is headed to the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle and they’ve called up prospect Kevin Gausman from Triple-A to replace him on the roster and in the rotation.
Gausman has struggled in the majors so far with a 6.10 ERA in 52 innings between last season and this year, but the former No. 4 overall pick is one of the best pitching prospects around and has excellent raw stuff including a mid-90s fastball.
This could be the opportunity Gausman needs to stick in the big leagues at age 23, although with a 3.68 ERA in 335 career innings Gonzalez has certainly pitched well enough to rejoin the rotation whenever he’s healthy.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 89
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)