Jun 6, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports that the Padres have placed second baseman Jedd Gyorko on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 4, with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Gyorko was not in the Padres’ lineup on Wednesday in the series finale against the Pirates, and the team used Thursday’s off-day to give him rest and to gauge the injury.
Gyorko hasn’t had a great 2014 after finishing sixth in NL Rookie of the Year balloting last season. He is slashing just .162/.213/.270 with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)