Jun 6, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports that the Padres have placed second baseman Jedd Gyorko on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 4, with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Gyorko was not in the Padres’ lineup on Wednesday in the series finale against the Pirates, and the team used Thursday’s off-day to give him rest and to gauge the injury.
Gyorko hasn’t had a great 2014 after finishing sixth in NL Rookie of the Year balloting last season. He is slashing just .162/.213/.270 with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (207)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)