Jun 6, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports that the Padres have placed second baseman Jedd Gyorko on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 4, with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Gyorko was not in the Padres’ lineup on Wednesday in the series finale against the Pirates, and the team used Thursday’s off-day to give him rest and to gauge the injury.
Gyorko hasn’t had a great 2014 after finishing sixth in NL Rookie of the Year balloting last season. He is slashing just .162/.213/.270 with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 0
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 4
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)