Jun 6, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Corey Brock reports that the Padres have placed second baseman Jedd Gyorko on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 4, with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. Gyorko was not in the Padres’ lineup on Wednesday in the series finale against the Pirates, and the team used Thursday’s off-day to give him rest and to gauge the injury.
Gyorko hasn’t had a great 2014 after finishing sixth in NL Rookie of the Year balloting last season. He is slashing just .162/.213/.270 with five home runs and 24 RBI in 221 plate appearances.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)