Paul Lo Duca calls Mets catchers “schmucks” and calls Omar Minaya an “idiot”

Jun 6, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Lo Duca

Former Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca is a Brooklyn guy with a lot of attitude so he’s naturally called on by talk radio guys when something pithy is required. He definitely delivered with WFAN hosts Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts this afternoon when asked to talk about the state of the Mets.

He was critical of Mets catchers saying “I could hit better left-handed than the schmucks they’ve got there now.” He also called former Mets GM Omar Minaya an “idiot” and mocked Citi Field’s dimensions and/or David Wright, saying “your franchise player is a hitting star who has four home runs!”

Maybe Lo Duca could hit better than the Mets catchers, but maybe that’s because he was juiced up to the gills for most of his career. And maybe Omar Minaya was an idiot, but I don’t think he ever did anything as dumb as pay his drug dealer with a personal check and then write the same drug dealer a personal note on team letterhead about, man, sorry that the check I wrote you was returned! Or, say, cheat on his wife with a teenaged mistress and then pose for pictures with her when he’s trying to be on the down low about it.

But I guess he really stuck it to those schmucks and idiots on the Mets, huh?

1. El Pollo Loco - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM

How’s your jailbait girlfriend doing ?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

If you are referring to Krista, the young woman he was reportedly seeing when his marriage ended, she was apparently 19, so was not “jailbait”. If you are referring to some other person, never mind.

• masher1965 - Jun 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

You are trying to justify an affair with a teenager?? Idiot

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 7, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I said nothing at all about married people failing to remain faithful to their spouses, which I is not something I would ever do. But somehow I’m an idiot for noting that someone aged 19 is old enough to vote and join our military and consent to sex with anyone they wish to. OK.

2. yahmule - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Man, Craig, leave some stuff for us to bag on him about.

• yahmule - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Like the gambling and welshing.

• theheemel - Jul 5, 2014 at 11:59 PM

lo duca is a pure ass punk. He is a degenerate gambler and truly a dumbass.

• jwbiii - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Well, there’s not paying stud fees for his horses.

• carpi2 - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Man, this guy is a stand up individual!

3. rhmurphy - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Attacking people for steroid use his hypocritical and ignorant unless it is directed at someone whose personality and manner you do not approve of. Craig, you’re so enlightened.

• thekingdave - Jun 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM

This x a million

• Uncle Charlie - Jun 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM

But Ryan Braun…

• realgone2 - Jun 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM

It’s Craig….not shocking. The guy is a dickhead

• dcarroll73 - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM

So realgone2, I guess we all must conclude that you have a full, rich life, and that is why you are “here” reading and commenting on a “dickhead”s blog?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:49 AM

I’m not attacking him for his steroid use. I’m (a) noting it as an unequivocal fact, which Lo Duca himself admitted to in his post-Mitchell Report apology; and (b) attacking him for being a hypocrite for calling people schmucks and idiots when he himself has a demonstrated track record of being a schmuck to his wife and an idiot in the way in which he handled his steroid transactions.

If Ryan Braun called someone a liar, noting his PED use and lies would not make someone a hypocrite, as they are facts.

If Barry Bonds said Hunter Pence sucked, noting his PED use would not make someone a hypocrite either.

No matter what you folks like to think, my defense of PED guys, such as it has been, has not been some blanket defense in which I believe these guys did no wrong and are wonderful people. It is a defense against distortions and exaggerations and overreactions. It is a defense against the notion that someone’s use of PEDs automatically makes them a terrible person. It is a defense that a PED transgression is some new and different sort of offense to baseball the likes of which has never been seen before and the severity of which puts the game in peril.

Saying that Paul Lo Duca used PEDs after he says some guys who don’t are “schmucks” who can’t hit and calling Paul Lo Duca an idiot for the manner in which he got caught for it after he calls someone else an “idiot” is pretty fair game if you ask me.

• rhmurphy - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Hey the guy is a schmuck and I’m on the saber side when it comes to steroids. But I *wouldn’t* call out Bonds for saying Pence sucks by noting that Bonds did steroids a) because the reason why getting on the radio and saying other players suck is stupid and schmuck-y for altogether difference reasons and b) because I thought we all agree that steroids don’t have an effect on performance!

• jfk69 - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Is this guy still in baseball? I am surprised he is not back in Bklyn working for a demolition company doing over night office demo’s dreaming of what could have been if he wasn’t such a dick. If not. That day well may come.

4. jziii - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM

So which glass house does Lo Duca live in? Is it next to Craig’s?

• yahmule - Jun 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I see him around my neighborhood from time to time.

5. sdelmonte - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Not sure why he’s going off on Minaya at this point, but most people would agree with that assessment. Starting with Adam Rubin.

And while I don’t agree about the dimensions of Citi Field – I say, good pitching beats good hitting, so build the team and the park towards that end – he’s not the only one to say that.

The question, however, is why anyone is wasting time interviewing him. I seem to recall that WFAN can’t interview active Mets. But they can surely find someone more interesting.

• crisisofinfinitephils - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM

He was actually on to talk about the Belmont. He’s a horse racing analyst now and used to have a weekly show with joe and Evan. And yes, I hate that I know this.

6. ripwarrior - Jun 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Was he drunk doing that interview? Or was he still on fumes from the night before?

7. musketmaniac - Jun 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Don’t care how hot the wife is, eventually she’ll get old.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

If you can’t look past aging and still see the person you married that’s your fault.

My wife looks absolutely no different to me now than she did when she was 18. I’m certain she looks different but I don’t see it.

8. tfbuckfutter - Jun 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Maybe don’t go name calling when your own given name is basically “The Douche”

9. musketmaniac - Jun 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Than you sir, might have love. congratulations. most married people never achieve it. and many lovers get old way before they age.

10. riotpunch26 - Jun 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Takes one to know one who knows one?

11. jfk69 - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Hmmm. So he has replaced steroids with the truth serum called alcohol. A true Brooklyn stereotype if I ever saw or heard one.
    Truly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

12. eagles512 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Always hated this guy. What a complete idiot.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3816)