Jun 6, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
The Phillies outrighted outfielder Tyson Gillies from the 40-man roster earlier today, a formality given the outfielder’s on-the-field struggles. As the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Matt Gelb put it, however, it was the Phillies conceding another mistake. Gillies will remain in the organization, but the move severely impacts his chances of making the major leagues with the Phillies.
Gillies, 25, was one of the three players GM Ruben Amaro acquired in the Cliff Lee trade with the Seattle Mariners in December 2009. The other two players, Phillippe Aumont and J.C. Ramirez, have also disappointed, but Gillies is on another level. His baseball-related struggles were obvious. His OPS by year, starting with 2010, went .638, .462, .809, 685, .588. He battled leg injuries that sapped his speed, as he went from 44 stolen bases in 2009 with Single-A High Desert in the Mariners’ system to 31 in his entire time in the Phillies’ system.
Gillies made a habit out of throwing temper tantrums and was memorably involved in last year’s brawl between Team Canada and Team Mexico in the World Baseball Classic. On June 3, he was reportedly involved in a shouting match with his coaches. A few days prior, he went 0-for-5 and damaged a wall and bat rack outside the Lehigh Valley IronPigs’ clubhouse.
As for the other two members of the Lee trade, the Phillies outrighted Ramirez last October. Ramirez then elected free agency and later joined the Indians but he hasn’t done a whole lot for them. Aumont has been a tire fire, allowing two home runs in the only two games he has appeared in the big leagues this season, while walking 22 in 26 1/3 innings at Triple-A with a 4.44 ERA. The Lee trade with the Mariners, one could say, has not worked out well for the Phillies.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (144)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)