Jun 6, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Phillies outrighted outfielder Tyson Gillies from the 40-man roster earlier today, a formality given the outfielder’s on-the-field struggles. As the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Matt Gelb put it, however, it was the Phillies conceding another mistake. Gillies will remain in the organization, but the move severely impacts his chances of making the major leagues with the Phillies.
Gillies, 25, was one of the three players GM Ruben Amaro acquired in the Cliff Lee trade with the Seattle Mariners in December 2009. The other two players, Phillippe Aumont and J.C. Ramirez, have also disappointed, but Gillies is on another level. His baseball-related struggles were obvious. His OPS by year, starting with 2010, went .638, .462, .809, 685, .588. He battled leg injuries that sapped his speed, as he went from 44 stolen bases in 2009 with Single-A High Desert in the Mariners’ system to 31 in his entire time in the Phillies’ system.
Gillies made a habit out of throwing temper tantrums and was memorably involved in last year’s brawl between Team Canada and Team Mexico in the World Baseball Classic. On June 3, he was reportedly involved in a shouting match with his coaches. A few days prior, he went 0-for-5 and damaged a wall and bat rack outside the Lehigh Valley IronPigs’ clubhouse.
As for the other two members of the Lee trade, the Phillies outrighted Ramirez last October. Ramirez then elected free agency and later joined the Indians but he hasn’t done a whole lot for them. Aumont has been a tire fire, allowing two home runs in the only two games he has appeared in the big leagues this season, while walking 22 in 26 1/3 innings at Triple-A with a 4.44 ERA. The Lee trade with the Mariners, one could say, has not worked out well for the Phillies.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (154)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)