Jun 6, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The Rockies’ Brandon Barnes hit an inside-the-park home run last night. Here it is:
I offer this thought from time to time and every time I offer it people tell me I’m a regular Buzz Killington, but I’ll offer it again: most inside-the-park home runs are kinda lame.
If the center fielder here plays this one more conservatively, the ball doesn’t ricochet back into the outfield like this and Barnes has at most a triple, but probably just a double. We don’t call errors on outfielder who take bad routes or pay caroms incorrectly, but if we did I’d say that over half of all inside-the-park homers would be errors or, at the very least, doubles with a two-base error. We could maybe critique the relay throw home here too if we wanted to.
Basically, most inside-the-park homers are functions of outfielder mistakes or freak things like an outfielder getting hurt or something. And for that reason they don’t interest me all that much. Give me a clean triple with a fast dude simple beating out a well-executed fielding play and relay throw. Way, way more exciting.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 0
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)