Watch Brandon Barnes’ inside-the-park home run. If you care for that sort of thing.

Jun 6, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT

The Rockies’ Brandon Barnes hit an inside-the-park home run last night. Here it is:

I offer this thought from time to time and every time I offer it people tell me I’m a regular Buzz Killington, but I’ll offer it again: most inside-the-park home runs are kinda lame.

If the center fielder here plays this one more conservatively, the ball doesn’t ricochet back into the outfield like this and Barnes has at most a triple, but probably just a double. We don’t call errors on outfielder who take bad routes or pay caroms incorrectly, but if we did I’d say that over half of all inside-the-park homers would be errors or, at the very least, doubles with a two-base error. We could maybe critique the relay throw home here too if we wanted to.

Basically, most inside-the-park homers are functions of outfielder mistakes or freak things like an outfielder getting hurt or something. And for that reason they don’t interest me all that much. Give me a clean triple with a fast dude simple beating out a well-executed fielding play and relay throw. Way, way more exciting.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Buzz Killington

• pbastille - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM

would they still call this a walk-off?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Sure – why not? CF had to jump and was fully extended, you can’t say he “should have caught it”. Certainly Craigs point does apply here – had the CF played it more conservatively, it would have been a double or Triple. But the rule book says nothing about “error for lack of conservative play”. Kent did double clutch the relay throw – but that is more a factor of having to rush, you would never see that called an error.

• pbastille - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Failed attempt at humor on my part, cuz nobody actually walked off, just Bobby running and running and running…

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Ahhh – gotcha now. And should have been obvious the first go around ;)

2. albanate - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Who’s the slowest player to ever hit an inside-the-parker? Kurt Suzuki?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I want to say that some big slow guy like a Molina or someone has two inside the parkers. I’m blanking, but it’s a guy you’d never expect.

• pmcenroe - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Prince Fielder had one at Metrodome, but yeah Molina was probably slower

• mjames1229 - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Prince Fielder actually has TWO inside-the-park-homeruns. One at the Metrodome on a ball that got lost in the ceiling, and one at Miller Park in which the ball got stuck in the padding where it meets the outfield wall (then I don’t know what the hell happened after that).

• mjames1229 - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=702914446790 – The one in Minnesota

• asimonetti88 - Jun 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Triples are generally more exciting yes, but give me the guaranteed run of an inside the park homer over the more exciting play every time.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Conor Gillespie. and Craig would REALLY hate his!

• pbastille - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for sharing that. Dude’s a pretty decent writer. Craig should hire him if he still has hiring authority. Bet he doesn’t though…

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Hope this link works. Bill Buckner:

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Incidentally, this was awesome.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Reposting for you:

Love the fans trying to wave security over b/c holy crap that looked like it hurt.

• 18thstreet - Jun 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Thanks. I can’t remember if the player (Claudell Washington) was hurt. According to the box score, he came out of the game. (Also: the only homer Buckner hit that year. I can’t understand, for the life of me, how the Red Sox didn’t have a better option to play first. But I digress.)

Box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199004250.shtml

Washington did play the next day and was — I assume — healthy. He was traded a couple days later (with Rich Monteleone to the Yankees (for Luis Polonia). If he were hurt, he would have failed the physical, right? Washington retired after that season. Buckner also retired a few weeks after this play after the Red Sox cut him.

• danaking - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I was at Forbes Field the night Willie Stargell hit an inside the park job off the batting cage where it was parked in centerfield. (Left and center in Forbes were cavernous. The light standards were also in cages on the playing field. The warning track jutted out around them.) When asked why he slid into home when he had the throw clearly beaten, he said he didn’t slide, he was just that tired.

• mjames1229 - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM

http://m.mlb.com/video/v2963535/fielder-hits-an-insidethepark-homer – The one at Miller Park.

• mjames1229 - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Don’t know how this didn’t line up right under Fielder’s Metrodome HR. Very likely operator error.

3. grumpyoleman - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I’m guessing you would rather see the batter end up at second after an artful bat flip and standing there watching the ball hit the wall before running.

4. RoyHobbs39 - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM

This is not a criticism. More of a question. But where was the RF supposed to be in a play like this? That was a rather long carom toward right field. Should he have been covering a possible miss? Or should he have been ready for a relay while 2B covered second base?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I agree, RF should have been backing up.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I am sure the RF got a talking to by Kirk Gibson after that

5. josemartez - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Inside-the-parkers are boring, like Craig said. Triples all the way.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 6, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Yeah but inside the park home runs guarantee at least one run scores.

• pbastille - Jun 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM

You and Craig should just stop watching when the runner hits third. Problem solved.

6. crispybasil - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM

TYPICAL LIBERAL SOCIALIST VIEW ON INSIDE THE PARK HOME RUNS!!!!!

7. Detroit Michael - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Best part of the video clip was the push-up session at the end where they are hamming around in the dugout.

8. Francisco (FC) - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I bet a Billy Hamilton Inside the Park Homerun would be exciting, the guy is so fast he would only need a little bit of hang time and hit it to say… triples alley in AT&T park.I bet he makes most triples boring.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

He has hit 2 in the minors – one of which is credited by Tater Tracker as the fastest ever

• squakdawg - Jun 6, 2014 at 12:08 PM

You’re assuming he can hit a ball that far…

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM

If Ben Revere can hit a homerun I don’t see why a Billy Hamilton fly ball 420 feet into right-center isn’t possible. Maybe the wind blows out a little.

9. cubsrice - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM

But dude, they got tacos! That’s exciting.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

RBI Baseball, all day long…

11. metalhead65 - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I have never heard anyone who says they love baseball take all the fun out of it the way Craig does. first he lives and breathes the metrics of it and then blows off something as fun as a inside the park home run as an uncredited error on a outfielder. it’s like he considers players robots for mindless stats for his fantasy league or something. nobody is perfect craig even your bat flip boy, who are you to say that these professionals misjudge fly balls? I am sure there is some metric to show they should have caught but then again it was made up by somebody who would not know what to do if you gave them a glove and told them to go play in the outfield. I have the feeling you and you saber buddies might enjoy the game if you stopped worrying about the numbers and just watched it, that is what the average fan does and why we grew up loving and playing it.

• clemente2 - Jun 6, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Idiotic comment of the day; par for course.

• metalhead65 - Jun 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM

last time I checked nobody was forcing you to read my comments. if you find them so idiotic they why read them? stop commenting on them so I don’t have to waste time looking when it shows I have a comment to read.

• cur'68 - Jun 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Metal’s much better when he’s Dusty Baker Bashing. I miss those days. He could rant like a crazy person about Baker. Even blame Dusty for the weather when he gets going. It was great.

12. miguelcairo - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Hey Craig, was Angel Pagan’s walk off inside-the-parker last year boring?

• clydeserra - Jun 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I’d say so, it broke pagan for the rest of the season/

13. 4cornersfan - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Thanks, Buzz, for killing all of the joy in a small bright spot in a Rockies season that has so far seen very few of them. What now? An interview on Sesame Street where you expose Santa Claus as a fraud?

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline