Jun 6, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The Rockies’ Brandon Barnes hit an inside-the-park home run last night. Here it is:
I offer this thought from time to time and every time I offer it people tell me I’m a regular Buzz Killington, but I’ll offer it again: most inside-the-park home runs are kinda lame.
If the center fielder here plays this one more conservatively, the ball doesn’t ricochet back into the outfield like this and Barnes has at most a triple, but probably just a double. We don’t call errors on outfielder who take bad routes or pay caroms incorrectly, but if we did I’d say that over half of all inside-the-park homers would be errors or, at the very least, doubles with a two-base error. We could maybe critique the relay throw home here too if we wanted to.
Basically, most inside-the-park homers are functions of outfielder mistakes or freak things like an outfielder getting hurt or something. And for that reason they don’t interest me all that much. Give me a clean triple with a fast dude simple beating out a well-executed fielding play and relay throw. Way, way more exciting.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)