Jun 6, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
The Rockies’ Brandon Barnes hit an inside-the-park home run last night. Here it is:
I offer this thought from time to time and every time I offer it people tell me I’m a regular Buzz Killington, but I’ll offer it again: most inside-the-park home runs are kinda lame.
If the center fielder here plays this one more conservatively, the ball doesn’t ricochet back into the outfield like this and Barnes has at most a triple, but probably just a double. We don’t call errors on outfielder who take bad routes or pay caroms incorrectly, but if we did I’d say that over half of all inside-the-park homers would be errors or, at the very least, doubles with a two-base error. We could maybe critique the relay throw home here too if we wanted to.
Basically, most inside-the-park homers are functions of outfielder mistakes or freak things like an outfielder getting hurt or something. And for that reason they don’t interest me all that much. Give me a clean triple with a fast dude simple beating out a well-executed fielding play and relay throw. Way, way more exciting.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (120)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)