Jun 6, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The Rockies’ Brandon Barnes hit an inside-the-park home run last night. Here it is:
I offer this thought from time to time and every time I offer it people tell me I’m a regular Buzz Killington, but I’ll offer it again: most inside-the-park home runs are kinda lame.
If the center fielder here plays this one more conservatively, the ball doesn’t ricochet back into the outfield like this and Barnes has at most a triple, but probably just a double. We don’t call errors on outfielder who take bad routes or pay caroms incorrectly, but if we did I’d say that over half of all inside-the-park homers would be errors or, at the very least, doubles with a two-base error. We could maybe critique the relay throw home here too if we wanted to.
Basically, most inside-the-park homers are functions of outfielder mistakes or freak things like an outfielder getting hurt or something. And for that reason they don’t interest me all that much. Give me a clean triple with a fast dude simple beating out a well-executed fielding play and relay throw. Way, way more exciting.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)