Jun 7, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
The Cubs recently released veteran right-hander Joel Pineiro and the Angels took the opportunity to sign him to a minor league deal. Per the Salt Lake Bees Twitter, Pineiro will start tonight against the Sacramento River Cats in a Triple-A match-up.
Pineiro, 35, had posted a 4.43 ERA with a 10/4 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings over four starts at Double-A Tennessee for the Cubs.
Pineiro last pitched in the majors in 2011 with the Angels. He finished with a 5.13 ERA in 145 2/3 innings.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 7
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)