Jun 7, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
The Cubs recently released veteran right-hander Joel Pineiro and the Angels took the opportunity to sign him to a minor league deal. Per the Salt Lake Bees Twitter, Pineiro will start tonight against the Sacramento River Cats in a Triple-A match-up.
Pineiro, 35, had posted a 4.43 ERA with a 10/4 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings over four starts at Double-A Tennessee for the Cubs.
Pineiro last pitched in the majors in 2011 with the Angels. He finished with a 5.13 ERA in 145 2/3 innings.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 4
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 15
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)