Jun 7, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Craig Kimbrel recorded four outs against the Diamondbacks last night at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona to finish off a 5-2 victory for the Braves. This particular save had a little more meaning than usual, as it was the 155th of his career, surpassing John Smoltz for the franchise record.
You can watch Kimbrel’s appearance below:
Smoltz established the previous record during his stint in the bullpen from 2001-2004. Kimbrel has only been in the majors since 2010, so it didn’t take him long to vault to the top of the list. He saved one game during his rookie season, 46 in 2011, 42 in 2012, 50 last season, and 16 so far this year. Still just 26 years old, he figures to take aim at the likes of Trevor Hoffman and Mariano Rivera on MLB’s all-time saves list if he can remain healthy.
Kimbrel has compiled a 1.41 ERA and 419 strikeouts over his first 254 appearances in the majors. He owns the lowest ERA and strikeout rate (15.14 K/9) in MLB history among pitchers with at least 240 innings pitched. Saves are often a function of good teams, so Kimbrel has been fortunate on that end, but he has had a historic start to his career.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)