Jun 7, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
Gio Gonzalez made a minor league rehab start with High-A Potomac last night as he nears his return from left shoulder inflammation. It didn’t go well, as he was hit hard for eight runs on seven hits and four walks over just 3 2/3 innings.
Gonzalez began his outing with two scoreless innings, but he gave up a grand slam in the third inning and was pulled in the fourth inning once he reached his limit of 65 pitches. While the results were poor, the southpaw told James Wagner of the Washington Post that his shoulder felt good.
“It’s definitely a work in process going from spring training to building it up to shutting it down and then going back at it again,” said Gonzalez, who is on the disabled list for the first time in his seven-year major league career. “To make the wheels go, you’ve got to crank them up and try to find where you’re at. It’s just good to know that my body feels good and my arm feels good.”
The initial plan was for Gonzalez to make just one rehab start and return for a start against the Giants next week, but that’s no sure thing. The Nationals might want to see better results first.
Gonzalez, 28, had a 4.62 ERA and 53/20 K/BB ratio in 50 2/3 innings across nine starts prior to landing on the disabled list last month.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)