Jun 7, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Rays reliever Josh Lueke served up a two-run home run to Marcell Ozuna Friday night’s game, extending the Marlins’ lead from three runs to five runs. That was the last straw for the Rays with Lueke. Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the club has designated the right-hander for assignment and recalled Kirby Yates from Triple-A Durham.
Yates, 27, posted an impressive 0.36 ERA with a 35/9 K/BB ratio in 25 innings at Triple-A.
Lueke was ineffective on the mound. He posted a 5.64 ERA, allowing seven home runs in only 30 1/3 innings of work, and he had trouble missing bats. Overall, Lueke has a 6.16 ERA in 87 2/3 innings in his career.
Lueke also continued to be a lightning rod for criticism surrounding an incident during his minor league career in which he was charged with raping a woman in Bakersfield, California. Lueke lied to the police by saying he had no contact with the victim, then later pled down to lesser charges.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)