Jun 7, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Rays reliever Josh Lueke served up a two-run home run to Marcell Ozuna Friday night’s game, extending the Marlins’ lead from three runs to five runs. That was the last straw for the Rays with Lueke. Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the club has designated the right-hander for assignment and recalled Kirby Yates from Triple-A Durham.
Yates, 27, posted an impressive 0.36 ERA with a 35/9 K/BB ratio in 25 innings at Triple-A.
Lueke was ineffective on the mound. He posted a 5.64 ERA, allowing seven home runs in only 30 1/3 innings of work, and he had trouble missing bats. Overall, Lueke has a 6.16 ERA in 87 2/3 innings in his career.
Lueke also continued to be a lightning rod for criticism surrounding an incident during his minor league career in which he was charged with raping a woman in Bakersfield, California. Lueke lied to the police by saying he had no contact with the victim, then later pled down to lesser charges.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 65
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)