Jun 7, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Update #2: MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that Morales will earn $12 million prorated for the remaining 103 games.
Recently, the teams strongly linked to Morales included the Yankees, Royals, Brewers, Mariners, and Rangers. So that the Twins grabbed him is a bit of a surprise. Morales is no longer attached to draft pick compensation now that the MLB first-year player draft has begun.
Morales, 30, slugged 23 home runs and knocked in 80 runs while slashing .277/.336/.449 for the Mariners last season. He’ll add some pop to the Twins’ lineup as they attempt to compete in a tightly-packed AL Central. The Twins are 28-31 and in last place, but are only five games behind the first place Detroit Tigers.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)