Jun 7, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
Update #2: MLB.com’s Rhett Bollinger reports that Morales will earn $12 million prorated for the remaining 103 games.
Recently, the teams strongly linked to Morales included the Yankees, Royals, Brewers, Mariners, and Rangers. So that the Twins grabbed him is a bit of a surprise. Morales is no longer attached to draft pick compensation now that the MLB first-year player draft has begun.
Morales, 30, slugged 23 home runs and knocked in 80 runs while slashing .277/.336/.449 for the Mariners last season. He’ll add some pop to the Twins’ lineup as they attempt to compete in a tightly-packed AL Central. The Twins are 28-31 and in last place, but are only five games behind the first place Detroit Tigers.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)