Jun 7, 2014, 8:58 AM EST
Well, would you look at that, the Rays won themselves a baseball game. Behind six scoreless innings from veteran left-hander Erik Bedard, the Rays topped the Mariners 4-0 last night to end their 10-game losing streak.
Going against his former team, Bedard gave up four hits and one walk while striking out eight batters. Jake McGee, Joel Peralta, and Grant Balfour combined for six strikeouts over the next three innings to finish off the shutout victory.
Little was expected from Bedard coming into the year, but he has a respectable 3.61 ERA over 10 starts and one relief appearance. He has a better ERA than David Price and Chris Archer right now. Wouldn’t have expected that in the spring.
Even after ending the long skid, the Rays still own the worst record in the majors at 24-38. They are currently 14 games behind the first-place Blue Jays in the American League East and eight back in the Wild Card race. They have a lot of work to do to make something out of their season.
Your Friday box scores:
Marlins 3, Cubs 5 (13 innings)
Athletics 4, Orioles 3 (11 innings)
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)