Jun 8, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
The latest update in the American League All-Star balloting has been released and there are a few things of things of note. Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista is now the leading vote-getter, passing Mike Trout. Oakland’s Josh Donaldson is running away with things at third base while Seattle’s Robinson Cano has increased his lead at second base and Baltimore’s Nelson Cruz has begun to distance himself from David Ortiz at the DH spot.
The assumption has been that Derek Jeter will win the vote at shortstop for the American League in his final season. And let’s be real here, he probably still will. But it’s a lot closer than you would expect. Chicago’s Alexei Ramirez, who is having an excellent season, is right on his heels in the balloting.
Here’s the full update:
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 6
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 117
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39