Jun 8, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
The latest update in the American League All-Star balloting has been released and there are a few things of things of note. Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista is now the leading vote-getter, passing Mike Trout. Oakland’s Josh Donaldson is running away with things at third base while Seattle’s Robinson Cano has increased his lead at second base and Baltimore’s Nelson Cruz has begun to distance himself from David Ortiz at the DH spot.
The assumption has been that Derek Jeter will win the vote at shortstop for the American League in his final season. And let’s be real here, he probably still will. But it’s a lot closer than you would expect. Chicago’s Alexei Ramirez, who is having an excellent season, is right on his heels in the balloting.
Here’s the full update:
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)