Jun 8, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
You might remember that Tigers right-hander and 2013 AL Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer rejected a six-year, $144 million contract extension from the Tigers in the spring. It was a calculated risk for a pitcher who could hit it big on the free agent market this winter. However, he has a Plan B if something goes terribly awry in the coming months.
Tom Verducci of SI.com has the story:
Scherzer revealed to SI.com that he took out an insurance policy that covers lost potential earnings if he is injured prior to hitting the free agent market this winter.
“This takes the injury risk out of it,” said Scherzer, who did not specify if the policy covered all or most of the $144 million.
It’s not like Scherzer will be hard-up for cash if hurts his arm tomorrow and never plays again. Including this year’s $15.525 million salary, he has made almost $30 million during his career. Still, it’s a smart and logical move for him. This kind of thing is probably more common than we realize, though Scherzer’s situation obviously commands more attention since he could fetch a $200 million deal this winter if all goes according to plan for him and his agent Scott Boras.
SportsDash: Jeff Passan explains why Scherzer’s arm is so expensive
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)