Jun 8, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
ESPN’s Richard Durrett reports that Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will undergo ankle surgery and will miss three months as a result. It’s terrible news for the Rangers, who have been unbelievably bitten by the injury bug this season, and it comes on the day the Kendrys Morales deal with the Twins is finalized.
As Gerry Fraley of the Dallas News details, Moreland has dealt with ankle issues all season and exhausted all of his options — injections, orthotics, wraps — before arriving at the decision to undergo surgery.
To make matters worse, one of the potential replacements for Moreland was also injured on Saturday. Jim Adduci left a rehab game with Double-A Frisco after jamming his surgically-repaired left pinkie finger.
You wouldn’t wish the Rangers’ 2014 season on your worst enemy.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)