Jun 8, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
ESPN’s Richard Durrett reports that Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will undergo ankle surgery and will miss three months as a result. It’s terrible news for the Rangers, who have been unbelievably bitten by the injury bug this season, and it comes on the day the Kendrys Morales deal with the Twins is finalized.
As Gerry Fraley of the Dallas News details, Moreland has dealt with ankle issues all season and exhausted all of his options — injections, orthotics, wraps — before arriving at the decision to undergo surgery.
To make matters worse, one of the potential replacements for Moreland was also injured on Saturday. Jim Adduci left a rehab game with Double-A Frisco after jamming his surgically-repaired left pinkie finger.
You wouldn’t wish the Rangers’ 2014 season on your worst enemy.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)