Jun 8, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
ESPN’s Richard Durrett reports that Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will undergo ankle surgery and will miss three months as a result. It’s terrible news for the Rangers, who have been unbelievably bitten by the injury bug this season, and it comes on the day the Kendrys Morales deal with the Twins is finalized.
As Gerry Fraley of the Dallas News details, Moreland has dealt with ankle issues all season and exhausted all of his options — injections, orthotics, wraps — before arriving at the decision to undergo surgery.
To make matters worse, one of the potential replacements for Moreland was also injured on Saturday. Jim Adduci left a rehab game with Double-A Frisco after jamming his surgically-repaired left pinkie finger.
You wouldn’t wish the Rangers’ 2014 season on your worst enemy.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)