Jun 8, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
ESPN’s Richard Durrett reports that Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will undergo ankle surgery and will miss three months as a result. It’s terrible news for the Rangers, who have been unbelievably bitten by the injury bug this season, and it comes on the day the Kendrys Morales deal with the Twins is finalized.
As Gerry Fraley of the Dallas News details, Moreland has dealt with ankle issues all season and exhausted all of his options — injections, orthotics, wraps — before arriving at the decision to undergo surgery.
To make matters worse, one of the potential replacements for Moreland was also injured on Saturday. Jim Adduci left a rehab game with Double-A Frisco after jamming his surgically-repaired left pinkie finger.
You wouldn’t wish the Rangers’ 2014 season on your worst enemy.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)