Jun 8, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
ESPN’s Richard Durrett reports that Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland will undergo ankle surgery and will miss three months as a result. It’s terrible news for the Rangers, who have been unbelievably bitten by the injury bug this season, and it comes on the day the Kendrys Morales deal with the Twins is finalized.
As Gerry Fraley of the Dallas News details, Moreland has dealt with ankle issues all season and exhausted all of his options — injections, orthotics, wraps — before arriving at the decision to undergo surgery.
To make matters worse, one of the potential replacements for Moreland was also injured on Saturday. Jim Adduci left a rehab game with Double-A Frisco after jamming his surgically-repaired left pinkie finger.
You wouldn’t wish the Rangers’ 2014 season on your worst enemy.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (320)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)