Pete Rose to manage a team for a single game

Jun 8, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

pete rose getty Getty Images

Not a major league team, of course, because he’s banned. Or an affiliated minor league team for the same reason. But an independent team is fair game, and the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League announced yesterday that Rose will serve as their manager on June 16 against the Lancaster Barnstormers.

The best part of all of this is the statement from Ken Shepard, the Bluefish general manager, who said that this will be “one of the biggest and [most] influential announcements in not only franchise history, but in professional baseball in the last 25 years.” I’d suggest that perhaps Shepard should look up the definition of the word “influential,” but he’s on a roll so we’ll just let him go with it.

In any event, I’m sure this will be a totally dignified affair and Rose will not be encouraged to come out onto the field to argue and otherwise draw attention to himself or anything.

1. uwsptke - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Seeing a haggard Rose at an autograph table inside a sports memorabilia shop in Vegas with no one waiting in line is one of the saddest things I’ve seen, but apparently it’s a pretty common sight.

• yahmule - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM

He signed so much his signature would be greatly devalued even without the stained reputation.

2. mybrunoblog - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Charlie Hustle. Still hustling for a buck. I love it.

3. riverace19 - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I’ll take the Lancaster Barnstormers +115

• mybrunoblog - Jun 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Could I get 10 dimes on Lancaster and take the three runs?
      Poor Pete. These jokes never get old.

4. jimeejohnson - Jun 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Wonder if any of his players will sprint to first base after drawing a walk.

5. The Cub Den - Jun 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM

That’s pretty exciting news if you ask me. We all have our feelings towards Rose. I’m a big fan of his, all I’m saying.

• f.verd - Jun 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I’m with you… As long as Pete is excluded from baseball (read “Hall of Fame”) whoever is chosen is inconsequential… Inclusion is meaningless. What you do on the field dictates inclusion. Try to tell me that all already in the Hall are saints… Then try to sell me that bridge…

• The Cub Den - Jun 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yup. Let bygones be bygones. I’ll be at that induction when it happens.

6. goawaydog - Jun 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM

They should double down and make it Casino night too.

7. musketmaniac - Jun 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM

with all the ex big name ball players still around somewhere. why not a four team bozo league like the Harlem Globetrotters used to do. There’s always people willing to pay to see Pete waive his cap or scream insults or death threats to Jose Canseco. wasn’t Sitting Bull part of a wild west show.

8. bornahawker - Jun 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I love Pete Rose. Gambling is as American as tax fraud. Good luck Pete. Non-profit NFL is a bigger crime than Pete ever committed!

9. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 8, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Are they trying to get actor Paul Giamatti for the ceremonial first pitch? OK, 1, 2, 3, downthumb.

10. plmathfoto - Jun 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Let’s see if he puts himself in the lineup at first base like he did when trying for the hits record, not caring about how bad it made his team. He can call attention to himself too by slamming the ball down in between innings

• stoutfiles - Jun 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM

If you look at team averages the years he mainly played first base (80-86) he hit a solid .275. Better than most players on the team. If the Phillies/Expos/Reds had better players to play, they would have played them. Also, he won a World Series playing all 162 games at 1B in 1980. But hey, remember it how you want I suppose.

• plmathfoto - Jun 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM

First of all, you’re including years he didn’t manage, that’s what I’m referring to, not when he actually was still productive for a FIRST BASEMEN. Any one that wants to try to point to his on base percentage during those years, yeah it was decent for a middle infielder with no power. He held guys back and hurt the team by writing his own name in the lineup card just so he could beat the record.

11. apeville - Jun 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I would go if I were close by. Something absurd is sure to go down.

12. jollyjoker2 - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Go for him..No worse than the steroid cheats we have now.

13. realgone2 - Jun 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Craig is a jerk off

14. papajack1259 - Jun 8, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I bet he loses the game.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3482)