Jun 8, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
Pirates starter Gerrit Cole has been dealing with shoulder fatigue and has been placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 4, Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports. As a result, the Pirates have moved Charlie Morton‘s start back a day. Rather than starting this afternoon, Morton will start in Cole’s place on Monday, reports Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. The Pirates have called up Jeff Locke from Triple-A Indianapolis to make today’s start.
As Sawchik pointed out, Cole’s velocity declined in the last inning of his last start against the Padres. Brooks Baseball confirms, showing that Cole sat 95-98 MPH in the first inning but was 91-95 in the sixth inning.
Cole, 23, has pitched well for the Pirates in his sophomore season. The right-hander has a 3.64 ERA with a 69/25 K/BB ratio in 76 2/3 innings.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)