Jun 8, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
How about this line, folks? .323/.463/.735 (that’s a 1.199 OPS), 21 home runs, 50 RBI, 51/64 K/BB ratio in 246 plate appearances. That’s what Joey Gallo has done at Single-A Myrtle Beach thus far. Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that the Rangers have promoted Gallo to Double-A Frisco and he could be available as early as tonight.
Gallo, 20, posted a .961 OPS with 40 home runs between rookie ball in the Arizona League and Single-A Hickory last season. Thus it was no surprise when he was rated the #60 overall prospect by Baseball America and #95 by Baseball Prospectus entering the season. Barring a catastrophic collapse over the rest of the season, Gallo’s stock should continue to rise quickly.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 0
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 48
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 74
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (170)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)