Jun 8, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mike Napoli has been activated from the 15-day disabled list and will bat fifth and play first base this evening when the Red Sox take on the Tigers at Comerica Park in Detroit. Alex Hassan has been optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket to clear a spot on Boston’s active roster.
Napoli was placed on the disabled list last month with a swollen left ring finger, but the time off also allowed him to rest a sore right hamstring and left calf. He managed to make it back to the Red Sox in the minimum 15 days. The 32-year-old is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI over his first 43 games this season.
Brock Holt has been filling in at first base since Stephen Drew joined the team, but he’s starting in left field tonight with Napoli back in action. He has never played the outfield in pro ball before, but the Red Sox want to keep his bat in the lineup.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)