Jun 8, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mike Napoli has been activated from the 15-day disabled list and will bat fifth and play first base this evening when the Red Sox take on the Tigers at Comerica Park in Detroit. Alex Hassan has been optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket to clear a spot on Boston’s active roster.
Napoli was placed on the disabled list last month with a swollen left ring finger, but the time off also allowed him to rest a sore right hamstring and left calf. He managed to make it back to the Red Sox in the minimum 15 days. The 32-year-old is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI over his first 43 games this season.
Brock Holt has been filling in at first base since Stephen Drew joined the team, but he’s starting in left field tonight with Napoli back in action. He has never played the outfield in pro ball before, but the Red Sox want to keep his bat in the lineup.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)