Jun 8, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mike Napoli has been activated from the 15-day disabled list and will bat fifth and play first base this evening when the Red Sox take on the Tigers at Comerica Park in Detroit. Alex Hassan has been optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket to clear a spot on Boston’s active roster.
Napoli was placed on the disabled list last month with a swollen left ring finger, but the time off also allowed him to rest a sore right hamstring and left calf. He managed to make it back to the Red Sox in the minimum 15 days. The 32-year-old is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI over his first 43 games this season.
Brock Holt has been filling in at first base since Stephen Drew joined the team, but he’s starting in left field tonight with Napoli back in action. He has never played the outfield in pro ball before, but the Red Sox want to keep his bat in the lineup.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)