Banana and mayonnaise sandwiches are the key to the Nationals’ season

Jun 9, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

mayo

Matthew LeCroy is one of my favorite Twins players of all time because he was always just so damn nice and lovable. Now he’s the Nationals’ bullpen coach and, as James Wagner of the Washington Post explains, LeCroy’s sandwich-eating is a big key to the team’s success:

Earlier in the season, when the Nationals were struggling through injuries and inconsistent play, and before the current hot streak, LeCroy turned to a traditional Southern delicacy before games to snap the team out of its rut: a banana-and-mayonnaise sandwich on white bread.

“A lot of people were hurting in the beginning, and we needed some big wins so I thought, ‘I gotta go with the banana-and-mayonnaise,’” LeCroy said late last week. The Nationals are 5-0 on days when he eats the sandwich before the game, a fact that the jovial LeCroy is proud of.

But wait, there’s more:

LeCroy said the sandwich tastes “awesome.” He said, however, he may love another mayonnaise meal more. For a snack, he will sometimes spread mayonnaise on saltine crackers and down a Coke. “It’s good,” he said with a grin.

My favorite part of this whole thing is that LeCroy doesn’t eat the sandwich every day because he doesn’t want it to lose the special ability it has to get the Nationals victories. That’s just smart planning, honestly.

1. jarathen - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

The key to winning is vomiting after eating a sandwich devised in hell?

• natstowngreg - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Hey, whatever works.

2. Old Gator - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM

What a great recipe for an emetic.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I don’t know about that Gator. But I bet it can certainly cause’ a person to blow chunks!

3. voteforno6 - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Matthew LeCroy, who as a player with the Nats made Frank Robinson cry…it’s good to see him back in the big leagues (as a coach this time).

• karlkolchak - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Yep–Frank cried a lot when he had to cut good guys who were too crappy as players to be on even those bad Nats’ squads. That said, LeCroy seems too be a pretty darn good coach.

4. tcostant - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I just threw up in my month. YUCK

5. musketmaniac - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I’m still trying to figure out how Elvis ate all the fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

• raysfan1 - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are good, especially with a little honey. I don’t fry mine though.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Peanut butter and banana is DELICIOUS! Fried I’ve never had, but I may have to try one now.

6. raysfan1 - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I just googled banana and mayo sandwiches because I have lived in the south most of my life and never heard of it before. Turns out Dale Earnheart Jr eats them too.

Whatever, still doesn’t sound appealing.

• chacochicken - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

My father, born and raised in central Alabama, used to drink buttermilk and eat moon-pies. I think I was about seven when I tried them and that was the first moment I realized that his judgement was, in fact, not beyond reproach.

• baberuthslegs - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

No wonder he hardly ever wins a race. Wondering if he ate one before this year’s Daytona 500.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM

A few months shy of six years here in NC, and I’ve never heard of it either. Then again it seems like everyone in the greater Charlotte area isn’t originally from the South so…

Anyhow, this sounds disgusting…

7. ironcurtin64 - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

After that tasty meal, it’s sardines and ice cream for dessert.

8. tmc602014 - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM

THIS IS WHY BASEBALL RULES! NBA – Racist ownership? check. NFL – Homophobic, racist, teammates run amok as a part of “Team Building” (Miami Dolphins)? Check. MLB – When an aged coach dies, everybody recalls his good spirits and comradeship. Others become news items for eating bizarre foods.
    I’m sure there are equally bad people on an individual basis in baseball as in other sports, but somehow the most extreme (Ryan Braun slandering test taker to save his own tail) pale in comparison (NE Patriot accused of multiple murders).

• raysfan1 - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

My own favorite team employed a rapist until this past weekend, so I’m not going to cast stones at other sports on the basis of morality.

9. mspauto - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Con’t knock it ’til you try it. I wouldn’t be surprised if boiled salted peanus weren’t for dessert

10. Conner012367 - Jun 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM

i would stick to just bananas and nothing on it.

11. Conner012367 - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I would stick to just bananas with not on it.

• Conner012367 - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

nothing*

• Conner012367 - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM

i hate it when i post the same comment twice and u can’t get rid of it.

12. hansob - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM

bread…. good….
    bananas….. good….
    mayo….. good…

13. musketmaniac - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM

maybe I should have peeled the banana first.

14. musketmaniac - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM

milk n pepsi is a no go

15. jpat2424 - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I used to eat peanut butter banana and miracle whip sandwiches as a kid. Tasty. Thank ya thank ya very much

16. musketmaniac - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Now that’s a different recipe, you can’t go wrong with miracle whip.

17. nicofthenorthstar - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Funny. It’s been years since I’ve had a miracle whip & PB sammy.
    If you really wanna dress it up, toast your bread and throw a big hunk of ice berg lettuce on there. Classic.

18. nicofthenorthstar - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Missed the banana part. Miracle whip, PB, lettuce on toast was our family recipe.

• jwbiii - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:25 PM

My mother made us cucumber and mayo sandwiches with lots of black pepper. Mmm!

19. bbil2012 - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Big 10-4 on the PB, lettuce and Miracle Whip. Try slippin a little onion in there next time. So good.

20. campcouch - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Southern delicacy? I’m a second generation Yankee,but the older gens are from Georgia and Bama so there’s still a lot of “down home” eating around the family. I’ve eaten or observed some stuff that usually ends my day (like fried crow and stewed opossum) but bananas and mayo? Never heard of it. It may be good,but considering I’ve had both,I just can’t see that combo sitting too well.

21. musketmaniac - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:46 PM

jw, my grandmother lived on sandwiches. squash sometimes too. I always thought it was an Indian thing, her being almost full blooded Cherokee.

• jwbiii - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Hmm. My mom grew up on a farm in Massachusetts, so it’s extremely unlikely there was any Cherokee influence. My guess is they grew cucumbers, and when they were ripe, they ate ‘em any way they could think of. Also thinly sliced on smoked fish, for example.

The squash: Zucchini, summer squash or some such? I don’t think butternut or something like that would work well.

22. musketmaniac - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

should say ` on those sandwiches`.

23. musketmaniac - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I wish I could remember most of it. There was a good bit the `fried green tomato` type cooking goin on. things you wish you could remember.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4650)