Jun 9, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Matthew LeCroy is one of my favorite Twins players of all time because he was always just so damn nice and lovable. Now he’s the Nationals’ bullpen coach and, as James Wagner of the Washington Post explains, LeCroy’s sandwich-eating is a big key to the team’s success:
Earlier in the season, when the Nationals were struggling through injuries and inconsistent play, and before the current hot streak, LeCroy turned to a traditional Southern delicacy before games to snap the team out of its rut: a banana-and-mayonnaise sandwich on white bread.
“A lot of people were hurting in the beginning, and we needed some big wins so I thought, ‘I gotta go with the banana-and-mayonnaise,’” LeCroy said late last week. The Nationals are 5-0 on days when he eats the sandwich before the game, a fact that the jovial LeCroy is proud of.
But wait, there’s more:
LeCroy said the sandwich tastes “awesome.” He said, however, he may love another mayonnaise meal more. For a snack, he will sometimes spread mayonnaise on saltine crackers and down a Coke. “It’s good,” he said with a grin.
My favorite part of this whole thing is that LeCroy doesn’t eat the sandwich every day because he doesn’t want it to lose the special ability it has to get the Nationals victories. That’s just smart planning, honestly.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)