Jun 9, 2014, 8:19 PM EDT
The hope was that Derek Holland would be cleared for a minor league rehab assignment if he showed enough progress with his surgically-repaired left knee during a workout today, but Rangers manager Ron Washington told Travis L. Brown of ESPN Dallas that he’s not ready yet.
Holland underwent microfracture knee surgery back in January. The final hurdle for a rehab assignment appears to be fielding his position. While the southpaw thinks he’s ready to pitch in games right now, he admitted that his leg was stiff today while covering first base and fielding bunts.
“I guess it just wasn’t as good,” Holland said. “It was their opinion. I’m going to go by them. They want to make sure everything is right. I do, too. I want it to be a one-time thing. I don’t want this to be a thing that I have to go back on the DL. I want to get it right the first time.”
Holland will focus on strengthening his leg for now and will be re-evaluated in two weeks. Washington doesn’t expect him to join the team’s rotation until after the All-Star break.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 6
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 115
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)