Jun 9, 2014, 8:19 PM EDT
The hope was that Derek Holland would be cleared for a minor league rehab assignment if he showed enough progress with his surgically-repaired left knee during a workout today, but Rangers manager Ron Washington told Travis L. Brown of ESPN Dallas that he’s not ready yet.
Holland underwent microfracture knee surgery back in January. The final hurdle for a rehab assignment appears to be fielding his position. While the southpaw thinks he’s ready to pitch in games right now, he admitted that his leg was stiff today while covering first base and fielding bunts.
“I guess it just wasn’t as good,” Holland said. “It was their opinion. I’m going to go by them. They want to make sure everything is right. I do, too. I want it to be a one-time thing. I don’t want this to be a thing that I have to go back on the DL. I want to get it right the first time.”
Holland will focus on strengthening his leg for now and will be re-evaluated in two weeks. Washington doesn’t expect him to join the team’s rotation until after the All-Star break.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)