Jun 9, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
For Derek Jeter, the struggles continue: His OPS is down to .612, which ranks 154th out of 167 players. He is 164th of 167 in slugging percentage. He has two extra-base hits in the last 32 days.
I guess it could be worse. Of the qualified players with a worse OPS than him, four of them are shortstops. And the various non-qualifying players the Tigers have used at short have been worse than all of them. So I guess even in his diminished state Jeter still profiles as a major league shortstop.
But man, it’s hard to see someone of his stature slumming with the Adeiny Hechavarrias and Zack Cosarts of the world.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (133)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)