Jun 9, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks moved right-hander Trevor Cahill to the bullpen back in April and now they are prepared to eat the roughly $17 million remaining on his contract, as the team announced this evening that he has been designated for assignment to make room for J.J. Putz‘s return from the disabled list.
Cahill was acquired from the Athletics in December of 2011 for Jarrod Parker, Ryan Cook, and Collin Cowgill. The 26-year-old posted a 3.87 ERA in 57 starts and one relief appearance over his first two seasons in Arizona, but he was banished to the bullpen in April after just four ugly starts. He has posted a 3.04 ERA and 27 strikeouts in 23 2/3 innings as a reliever, but that apparently wasn’t good enough to justify a roster spot.
Cahill signed a five-year, $30.5 million extension with the A’s back in April of 2011, so he’s still owed the remainder of his $7.7 million salary for this season, $12 million for 2015, and buyouts for team options for 2016 and 2017. It will be interesting to see if a team tries to work out a trade, likely with Arizona picking up a large portion of the contract.
UPDATE: According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Cahill indicated that he’s open to accepting a minor league rehab assignment with the Diamondbacks.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)