Jun 9, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado spoke with MASN Sports this evening to issue an apology for his actions during yesterday’s game against the Athletics. The 21-year-old was ejected from the ballgame after he appeared to intentionally toss his bat on a swing and a miss after being brushed back by Fernando Abad on the previous pitch.
You can read part of Machado’s apology below, via Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com:
“I definitely want to apologize to all my teammates, my coaching staff, the organization and to Oakland, and the fans also, the way I overreacted,” Machado said.
“It was a frustrating weekend, and I let my emotions get the best of me.”
Machado also for how he handled himself after hitting Derek Norris with his backswing during yesterday’s game. The Athletics were frustrated with Machado after they felt he didn’t show proper remorse for knocking him out of the game.
Here’s the full video of Machado’s apology, via MASNSports.com:
It’s a little weak that Machado only spoke with someone from the team’s network and not the rest of the media, but an apology is an apology. Still, he’s likely looking at a significant suspension. Orioles manager Buck Showalter expects MLB to announce a decision in the next 24 to 48 hours.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)