Manny Machado apologizes for his actions during Sunday’s game

Jun 9, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT

Machado AP AP

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado spoke with MASN Sports this evening to issue an apology for his actions during yesterday’s game against the Athletics. The 21-year-old was ejected from the ballgame after he appeared to intentionally toss his bat on a swing and a miss after being brushed back by Fernando Abad on the previous pitch.

You can read part of Machado’s apology below, via Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com:

“I definitely want to apologize to all my teammates, my coaching staff, the organization and to Oakland, and the fans also, the way I overreacted,” Machado said.

“It was a frustrating weekend, and I let my emotions get the best of me.”

Machado also for how he handled himself after hitting Derek Norris with his backswing during yesterday’s game. The Athletics were frustrated with Machado after they felt he didn’t show proper remorse for knocking him out of the game.

Here’s the full video of Machado’s apology, via MASNSports.com:

It’s a little weak that Machado only spoke with someone from the team’s network and not the rest of the media, but an apology is an apology. Still, he’s likely looking at a significant suspension. Orioles manager Buck Showalter expects MLB to announce a decision in the next 24 to 48 hours.

1. tfbuckfutter - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I thought it was unintentional?

How did his emotions cause something unintentional to happen?

• scatterbrian - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Emotions help you grip the bat better.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I think you got that backwards.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM

It only doesn’t make sense if you think about it, or listen to what he says. But if you just turn of your mind man….it all make sense!

Reminds me of Giambi

Jason Giambi twiddled his thumbs, crossed his legs and fidgeted in his chair.

He said he was sorry five times. He apologized three times.

To the New York Yankees. To his teammates. To the fans.

But he never said why. And he never talked about using steroids, never mentioned the word.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM

It reminds me of apologizing to my wife….

“I’m sorry.”
        “What are you sorry for.”
        “…..whatever you’re mad about.”

2. thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM

He started off well, and then he fell back into denial.

• karlkolchak - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Then he swam to shore, and found himself in Cairo! (rim shot)

• thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM

He should have stopped once he got past the prepared part of his statement.

3. hittfamily - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Apology or not, he will carry this with him for a long time. This “Bush Leaugue” stuff is viewed worse than cheating by many in the game and the fans.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:06 PM

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t he friendly with another guy known for bush league antics and weak denials until he has no other choice?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM

David Ortiz?

[yes I know who you are referring to, but one cheap shot deserves another]

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Shutup, honky.

• thisdamnbox - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM

He’s just talkin’ ’bout Shaft!!!

4. rbj1 - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:06 PM

It’s a start. But he still needs to be suspended.

5. pinkfloydprism - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Um… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rseecmTF_Q

6. johnnysoda - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Yeah, I’m sure he was real sincere about that one.

Hopefully, he’ll get a nice, long suspension.

7. jya87 - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Just a PR move. Actions carry more weight than words.

Only reason he apologizes at all is because the reporter leads him in the right direction.

8. randygnyc - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

After serving consecutive league and then team supensions, Machado shouldn’t see anything but chin music from the rest of the league for the remainder of the season.

9. 1998yanks - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM

He still needs his a** kicked.

10. renaado - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM

He should also apologize for that crappy excuse of a statement yesterday.

• 4cornersfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Yes. I like it. And if that apology comes up a cropper he can apologize for the poorly done apology that apologized for… a little help here.

11. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM

If you look closely, you can see the Orioles’ PR director’s lips moving.

12. Nofoolnodrool - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM

It’s Baltimore what do you expect…Ray,Lewis, Ray Rice and now this turd…not a surprise to me.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Fitting that “fool” is part of your screen name.

13. ajsjr40 - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Time for the young fella to sit for ten games.

14. ironmd778 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM

What a tool this guy is.

15. apeville - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I am sorry, too- for giving him 50 seconds of my time.

16. campcouch - Jun 10, 2014 at 5:57 AM

It’s been a while since playing ball in high school,but I can tell you that I never thought a guy throwing a rock at me at 80mph was just baseball. Mad because I got 2 hits or stole a base? I understand,go ahead and hit me with the baseball. Then I got kicked off the team for rushing the mound with an aluminum bat. No I didn’t hit him,the catcher tackled me,but that dude never hit another batter again. Baseballs hurt. Getting drilled in the head,neck,ribs and back don’t feel good at all,and you can tell if a guy did it on purpose. I’m sure Abad was sending a message and establishing his turf,but I don’t know if anybody plays thinking they should get cracked in the skull over an argument. But that’s why my shortstop days ended in 10th grade. Play ball Manny.

17. ctony1216 - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM

OK, that’s step 1. Admitting he screwed up and apologizing. Hopefully, this is a sign of a young player maturing a little bit.

18. rrsm53 - Jun 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM

how his no effort on a pop up in the game with the redsox last night, it was a very catchable ball and he just looked up and let it go fell right behind the railing he could have caught it easily. He is still pissed about his contract getting renewed. Time to grow up little boy, you get paid good money to play a kids game you troll.

19. nvl004 - Jun 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM

one guy threw a ball at another guy and missed. That guy threw a bat back at him and missed. Manny did something stupid he apologized for it, lets move on.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS