Jun 9, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado spoke with MASN Sports this evening to issue an apology for his actions during yesterday’s game against the Athletics. The 21-year-old was ejected from the ballgame after he appeared to intentionally toss his bat on a swing and a miss after being brushed back by Fernando Abad on the previous pitch.
You can read part of Machado’s apology below, via Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com:
“I definitely want to apologize to all my teammates, my coaching staff, the organization and to Oakland, and the fans also, the way I overreacted,” Machado said.
“It was a frustrating weekend, and I let my emotions get the best of me.”
Machado also for how he handled himself after hitting Derek Norris with his backswing during yesterday’s game. The Athletics were frustrated with Machado after they felt he didn’t show proper remorse for knocking him out of the game.
Here’s the full video of Machado’s apology, via MASNSports.com:
It’s a little weak that Machado only spoke with someone from the team’s network and not the rest of the media, but an apology is an apology. Still, he’s likely looking at a significant suspension. Orioles manager Buck Showalter expects MLB to announce a decision in the next 24 to 48 hours.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)