Jun 9, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado spoke with MASN Sports this evening to issue an apology for his actions during yesterday’s game against the Athletics. The 21-year-old was ejected from the ballgame after he appeared to intentionally toss his bat on a swing and a miss after being brushed back by Fernando Abad on the previous pitch.
You can read part of Machado’s apology below, via Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com:
“I definitely want to apologize to all my teammates, my coaching staff, the organization and to Oakland, and the fans also, the way I overreacted,” Machado said.
“It was a frustrating weekend, and I let my emotions get the best of me.”
Machado also for how he handled himself after hitting Derek Norris with his backswing during yesterday’s game. The Athletics were frustrated with Machado after they felt he didn’t show proper remorse for knocking him out of the game.
Here’s the full video of Machado’s apology, via MASNSports.com:
It’s a little weak that Machado only spoke with someone from the team’s network and not the rest of the media, but an apology is an apology. Still, he’s likely looking at a significant suspension. Orioles manager Buck Showalter expects MLB to announce a decision in the next 24 to 48 hours.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)