Jun 9, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Orioles third baseman Manny Machado spoke with MASN Sports this evening to issue an apology for his actions during yesterday’s game against the Athletics. The 21-year-old was ejected from the ballgame after he appeared to intentionally toss his bat on a swing and a miss after being brushed back by Fernando Abad on the previous pitch.
You can read part of Machado’s apology below, via Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com:
“I definitely want to apologize to all my teammates, my coaching staff, the organization and to Oakland, and the fans also, the way I overreacted,” Machado said.
“It was a frustrating weekend, and I let my emotions get the best of me.”
Machado also for how he handled himself after hitting Derek Norris with his backswing during yesterday’s game. The Athletics were frustrated with Machado after they felt he didn’t show proper remorse for knocking him out of the game.
Here’s the full video of Machado’s apology, via MASNSports.com:
It’s a little weak that Machado only spoke with someone from the team’s network and not the rest of the media, but an apology is an apology. Still, he’s likely looking at a significant suspension. Orioles manager Buck Showalter expects MLB to announce a decision in the next 24 to 48 hours.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 5
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (68)