Jun 9, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Yesterday the Mets demoted rookie Travis d’Arnaud back to Triple-A and, based on manager Terry Collins’ comments, it sounds like the 25-year-old catcher should get comfortable in Las Vegas.
Asked by Adam Rubin of ESPN New York how long d’Arnaud was likely to remain in the minors, Collins replied:
I don’t have a timeframe, but it’s going to take him a while to get it going to where we think it’s, “Hey, look, it’s time to bring him back here.” … It’s very hard. He is our guy coming into spring training, and he’s been our guy since he got called up last year. But he’s a young player who is still learning, still trying to get better.
You weigh the factors of: Is he getting something out of this? Or is it hurting him in the long run to continue to struggle? As I told him last night, “You’re not the reason we’re not scoring, but right now the fingers are being pointed in your direction, which I don’t think is necessarily fair. So right now you’ve got to go get your swing, come back and tear it up like everybody expected.”
d’Arnaud was ranked as a top-100 prospect by Baseball America every season since 2010, including the No. 38 overall spot this year, but now he’s 25 years old with a .189 batting average through 70 career games and seems likely to spend at least the remainder of the first half at Triple-A (where he previously hit .328 with a .990 OPS in 86 games).
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 7
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)