Jun 9, 2014, 10:53 PM EST
It took an injury to Neil Walker for it to happen, but Pirates top prospect Gregory Polanco is on finally on his way to the majors.
The Pirates announced this evening that Walker has been placed on the 15-day disabled list following an appendectomy. In turn, Polanco will be called up from Triple-A Indianapolis prior to Tuesday’s game against the Cubs.
Polanco was rumored to be called up last Friday, but those reports proved unfounded. However, Pirates fans got the news they have been waiting for just a few moments ago:
Polanco was ranked as the No. 10 prospect in the game by Baseball America in February and has dominated at the Triple-A level this year, putting up a .347/.405/.540 with seven home runs, 49 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 62 games. The 22-year-old outfielder should have been promoted to the majors a while ago if we were going strictly on merit, but the Pirates held him down in the minors for service time considerations. Now that they have waited through early June, he has a better chance of avoiding Super Two status.
Josh Harrison has been playing right field as of late for the Pirates, but he’ll likely fill in for Walker at second base now that Polanco is in the big leagues.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)