Jun 9, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
It took an injury to Neil Walker for it to happen, but Pirates top prospect Gregory Polanco is on finally on his way to the majors.
The Pirates announced this evening that Walker has been placed on the 15-day disabled list following an appendectomy. In turn, Polanco will be called up from Triple-A Indianapolis prior to Tuesday’s game against the Cubs.
Polanco was rumored to be called up last Friday, but those reports proved unfounded. However, Pirates fans got the news they have been waiting for just a few moments ago:
Polanco was ranked as the No. 10 prospect in the game by Baseball America in February and has dominated at the Triple-A level this year, putting up a .347/.405/.540 with seven home runs, 49 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 62 games. The 22-year-old outfielder should have been promoted to the majors a while ago if we were going strictly on merit, but the Pirates held him down in the minors for service time considerations. Now that they have waited through early June, he has a better chance of avoiding Super Two status.
Josh Harrison has been playing right field as of late for the Pirates, but he’ll likely fill in for Walker at second base now that Polanco is in the big leagues.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)