Jun 9, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
The Rockies announced a bunch of roster moves this evening. Among them, Michael Cuddyer and Eddie Butler have been placed on the disabled list and Wilton Lopez has been designated for assignment. The Lopez move clears a spot for Monday’s scheduled starter Christian Bergman while reliever Chad Bettis has also been called up from Triple-A.
Cuddyer was placed on the disabled list with a left shoulder strain, which he suffered while diving for a ball at third base last Thursday. According to Patrick Saunders and Nick Groke of the Denver Post, Rockies trainer Keith Dugger indicated this evening that the injury could keep him sidelined for a lengthy period of time. The 35-year-old already had a stint on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring, so he has been limited to just 31 games this season.
Butler just made his major league debut last Friday against the Dodgers, giving up six runs over 5 1/3 innings, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with right rotator cuff inflammation. Dugger called the move “precautionary,” but the Rockies were alarmed after he complained of “soreness in his armpit area.” It’s a tough break for one of the Rockies’ top prospects.
As for Lopez, he had a 2.64 ERA with the Astros from 2010-2012, but posted a 4.06 ERA in 75 appearances with the Rockies last season and was demoted to Triple-A in April after giving up eight runs over his first 6 1/3 innings of work. He’s making $2.2 million this season.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)