Jun 9, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
The Rockies announced a bunch of roster moves this evening. Among them, Michael Cuddyer and Eddie Butler have been placed on the disabled list and Wilton Lopez has been designated for assignment. The Lopez move clears a spot for Monday’s scheduled starter Christian Bergman while reliever Chad Bettis has also been called up from Triple-A.
Cuddyer was placed on the disabled list with a left shoulder strain, which he suffered while diving for a ball at third base last Thursday. According to Patrick Saunders and Nick Groke of the Denver Post, Rockies trainer Keith Dugger indicated this evening that the injury could keep him sidelined for a lengthy period of time. The 35-year-old already had a stint on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring, so he has been limited to just 31 games this season.
Butler just made his major league debut last Friday against the Dodgers, giving up six runs over 5 1/3 innings, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with right rotator cuff inflammation. Dugger called the move “precautionary,” but the Rockies were alarmed after he complained of “soreness in his armpit area.” It’s a tough break for one of the Rockies’ top prospects.
As for Lopez, he had a 2.64 ERA with the Astros from 2010-2012, but posted a 4.06 ERA in 75 appearances with the Rockies last season and was demoted to Triple-A in April after giving up eight runs over his first 6 1/3 innings of work. He’s making $2.2 million this season.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)