Jun 9, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
The Rockies announced a bunch of roster moves this evening. Among them, Michael Cuddyer and Eddie Butler have been placed on the disabled list and Wilton Lopez has been designated for assignment. The Lopez move clears a spot for Monday’s scheduled starter Christian Bergman while reliever Chad Bettis has also been called up from Triple-A.
Cuddyer was placed on the disabled list with a left shoulder strain, which he suffered while diving for a ball at third base last Thursday. According to Patrick Saunders and Nick Groke of the Denver Post, Rockies trainer Keith Dugger indicated this evening that the injury could keep him sidelined for a lengthy period of time. The 35-year-old already had a stint on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring, so he has been limited to just 31 games this season.
Butler just made his major league debut last Friday against the Dodgers, giving up six runs over 5 1/3 innings, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with right rotator cuff inflammation. Dugger called the move “precautionary,” but the Rockies were alarmed after he complained of “soreness in his armpit area.” It’s a tough break for one of the Rockies’ top prospects.
As for Lopez, he had a 2.64 ERA with the Astros from 2010-2012, but posted a 4.06 ERA in 75 appearances with the Rockies last season and was demoted to Triple-A in April after giving up eight runs over his first 6 1/3 innings of work. He’s making $2.2 million this season.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Watch as Dee Gordon belts a ball into the right-center field gap and turns on the jets …
Jun 30, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Gyorko was optioned to the minors on June 10 after batting .210/.282/.311 over his first 131 plate appearances …
Jun 30, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum will be placed on the disabled list with a forearm bruise to open a rotation spot.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Like pretty much everyone else, actually.
Jun 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
Which was pretty much the only choice they had, yes?
Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Let us use this column to talk a bit about how rumors got started back in the day and how they get started now.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Gallo played 25 games in his first taste of the big leagues.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Chris Bassitt will start in his place.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
No one is quite sure when All-Star third baseman David Wright will be back.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Not that anyone really wants you to know it’s up for bid.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s making $4.8 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The old park housed the Eugene Emeralds until 2009
Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Two men enter. One man leaves.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
I’d like to tell you a story about bullpen history and a young man named Tony La Russa.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
And Chris Young was not too pleased about it.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
It goes far, far deeper than you ever could’ve imagined.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
One he gets past 45 pitches he turns every opposing hitter into Lou Gehrig.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:32 AM EDT
Mike Trout put on a clinic against the Yankees last night.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)