Jun 9, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
UPDATE: Well, that explains the benching. Drew is day-to-day with an oblique injury.
Stephen Drew has played just four games for the Red Sox since rejoining the team after sitting out the first two months of the season, which is why it seems odd that he’s sitting out tonight’s game against the Orioles.
Not only are the Red Sox facing a right-handed pitcher–which is a good matchup for the left-handed-hitting Drew–but that pitcher is Bud Norris and Drew is a career .462 hitter with a 1.357 OPS in 17 plate appearances off him.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 50
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 137
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)