Jun 9, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that explains the benching. Drew is day-to-day with an oblique injury.
Stephen Drew has played just four games for the Red Sox since rejoining the team after sitting out the first two months of the season, which is why it seems odd that he’s sitting out tonight’s game against the Orioles.
Not only are the Red Sox facing a right-handed pitcher–which is a good matchup for the left-handed-hitting Drew–but that pitcher is Bud Norris and Drew is a career .462 hitter with a 1.357 OPS in 17 plate appearances off him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54