The Fourth of July caps are going to look quite different this year

Jun 9, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Indeed, they’re going to look downright Houston Astros-y. This sneak peak from Sportslogos.net:

source:

They got it from a tipster, and they got confirmation that several months ago a minor league team teased the design, which may suggest New Era has been working on it for a bit.

I think it’s OK. Certainly more imaginative than the standard stars and stripes logos they’ve been using for the past few years. I actually think the fact that these are far removed from the team’s usual designs is a good thing. The older ones fall in some sort of weird uncanny valley in which they’re so close to the old designs that they make you think they are the old designs with just a little something . . . off. If you’re going to go in another direction, go definitively in another direction, ya know?

1. natstowngreg - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

The Nats will host the Cubs on July 4. [It seems that most seasons, the Cubs play in Washington on a national holiday. May not be factually correct, but it just seems that way.] That cap might go well with the blue jerseys the Nats wear for home games on Memorial Day and July 4.

2. icanspeel - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Is that the best they could come up with? I was confused for a moment wondering why the St Louis Cardinals logo was on an Astros hat.

• paperlions - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Kind of appropriate since Luhnow is essentially trying to replicate (and improve on) the system he helped build in StL.

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I hope that the Jays are not expected to wear special hats for July 4. The Jays will be wearing special hats on July 1. We do not expect that US teams be required to wear special hats on our national holidays.

• natstowngreg - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Of course, MLB would do that. There must be uniformity, even if that means slighting our friends in Beaver Land. I’d be OK if MLB did something for your holiday. Though I recognize that this whole holiday thing might be a sore point for you guys. Us trying to conquer you and stuff like that.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM

The ugly Memorial Day uniforms were a turn off. We celebrate our war dead on November 11. Memorial Day means nothing to us.

• jwbiii - Jun 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Absolutely agree. MLB should let the Jays wear the Memorial Day unis on Victoria Day and the Independence Day caps on Canada Day.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

An early Happy Dominion Day to you! Oops, showing my age there. I actually remember when Victoria Day was always May 24 and was often called Firecracker Day.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

And if we did not get a holiday on the 24th, we would all stay away.

4. asimonetti88 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I wonder what the Astros hats will look like.

5. 18thstreet - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I like these. They’re nice.

Why we need special hats for holidays is a different question, but if they’re going to exist, they ought to look nice.

6. rbts2014 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:35 AM

of course the design is going to change – the name of the game is selling merchandise so if you keep using the same design, you are going to hurt merchandise sales.

• 18thstreet - Jun 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I agree. But how much money are we talking about, anyway?

I see people wearing patriotic Washington Nationals caps, but, well, we’re Washington. It makes sense to wear red, white, and blue here.

7. RoyHobbs39 - Jun 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

You know this is going to get Lukas going. Though I think he will handle this better than the Memorial Day GI Joe unis.

8. hojo20 - Jun 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM

If I went to a ballgame on a holiday, I’d want to see their standard uniform, not this garbage.

9. The Cub Den - Jun 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Those caps look incredible. Very nice!

Three legends off to Cooperstown