Jun 9, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Minnesota and first-round draft pick Nick Gordon have agreed to a $3.85 million signing bonus, which is the slot-recommended amount for the No. 5 overall pick.
Gordon is a high school shortstop from Florida. His dad, Tom Gordon, was a three-time All-Star pitcher who played 21 seasons in the majors and his brother, Dee Gordon, is the Dodgers’ starting second baseman and currently leads the National League in stolen bases.
Nick Gordon is several years away from potentially entering into the Twins’ plans, but Baseball America ranked him as a top-10 overall player in the draft class and the Twins believe he’ll definitely be able to stick at shortstop defensively long term.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)