Jun 9, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
Minnesota and first-round draft pick Nick Gordon have agreed to a $3.85 million signing bonus, which is the slot-recommended amount for the No. 5 overall pick.
Gordon is a high school shortstop from Florida. His dad, Tom Gordon, was a three-time All-Star pitcher who played 21 seasons in the majors and his brother, Dee Gordon, is the Dodgers’ starting second baseman and currently leads the National League in stolen bases.
Nick Gordon is several years away from potentially entering into the Twins’ plans, but Baseball America ranked him as a top-10 overall player in the draft class and the Twins believe he’ll definitely be able to stick at shortstop defensively long term.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 111
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (111)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)