Jun 9, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Minnesota and first-round draft pick Nick Gordon have agreed to a $3.85 million signing bonus, which is the slot-recommended amount for the No. 5 overall pick.
Gordon is a high school shortstop from Florida. His dad, Tom Gordon, was a three-time All-Star pitcher who played 21 seasons in the majors and his brother, Dee Gordon, is the Dodgers’ starting second baseman and currently leads the National League in stolen bases.
Nick Gordon is several years away from potentially entering into the Twins’ plans, but Baseball America ranked him as a top-10 overall player in the draft class and the Twins believe he’ll definitely be able to stick at shortstop defensively long term.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)