Carlos Gonzalez has “foreign body” removed from finger

Jun 10, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT

Thomas Harding, the Rockies beat writer for MLB.com, shares the news …

CarGo had been bothered by discomfort in the finger for the past month. It was initially diagnosed as inflammation and he tried to play through it, but his ability to grip a bat become a real issue. The 28-year-old owns an outstanding .877 career OPS. This season his OPS was at a sluggish .756 through 52 games.

Corey Dickerson will serve as the Rockies’ starting left fielder while Gonzalez is on the shelf.

1. yahmule - Jun 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM

One time, while I was living in Vegas, I was planting come golden barrel cactus and I had a quill go right under my fingernail and break off. The initial burst of pain rocketed all the way up to my shoulder, but I quickly shrugged it off because I’m one of those macho gardener types. It took about a month, but that piece of cactus quill kept migrating under my fingernail until it worked its way back out the top. Fingers are very mysterious.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM

“Fingers are very mysterious.”

They’re called fingers but I’ve never seen them fing….Oh wait, there they go.

2. proudlycanadian - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM

How did that foreign body get past Homeland Security?

• chacochicken - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM

It probably snuck in from Canada.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM

He hasn’t played here this season.

• chacochicken - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I’d guess it came across the border on one of those RVs from Quebec.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 10, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I bet that it came from outer space.

• chacochicken - Jun 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Perhaps CarGo was struck in the hand by a tiny, tiny meteorite?

• cur'68 - Jun 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Swum across on a migrating beaver.

• jwbiii - Jun 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM

It was surgically implanted in his hand. It didn’t trigger the metal detector in the Maracaibo airport.

• zzalapski - Jun 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM

At first I thought it was Manny Machado, but then I remembered he’s from Florida.

3. kyzslew77 - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Corey Dickerson can hit like nobody’s business. He’s 95% the hitter Cargo is so the lineup shouldn’t be affected too much by this. He can’t come close to replacing Cargo’s glove though.

4. mondogarage - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Corey can’t replace Cargo’s glove, but he’s no slouch in the OF, either. Before Charlie Blackmon took ownership of CF, Corey was considered a candidate to play there full-time.

5. historiophiliac - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Ewww. That’s why I did NOT have children.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Is this one of those subtle racism things Craig was talking about? How do they know the body was foreign? Maybe it was just of foreign descent.

7. foreverchipper10 - Jun 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Better than having a foreign finger removed from his body I suppose.

8. jwbiii - Jun 11, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Carlos Gonzalez had a "fatty mass with tentacles" removed from his finger? What the hell.— Mike Axisa (@mikeaxisa) June 11, 2014

Upon further review, I’m going with kraken larva.

Three legends off to Cooperstown