Jun 10, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Glen Burke is often credited with being the first openly gay major league baseball player. It probably depends on your definition of “openly,” as he did not make his sexual orientation known to the public until after he retired, though he was out to many of his teammates with the Dodgers and the A’s. I guess how you characterize it all depends on how much stock you put on someone being out “in the locker room,” literally speaking.
At any rate, Burke wrote a book about his life before he died in 1995 and a documentary as made about him and aired in 2011. Now, a Hollywood star is trying to get a feature film made:
Actress Jamie Lee Curtis is making progress on her project of producing a film version of the life of the first openly gay baseball player, Glenn Burke, reports Deadline. Laramie Project producer Ross Katz just signed on to write the film, which the Halloween star has been endeavoring to develop for some time. Titled Out at Home: The Glenn Burke Story, the picture is based on the memoir of the same name, written by Burke with Erik Sherman; the book came out in 1995, the same year Burke died of AIDS complications.
Also: Burke is often credited with inventing the high five, so whoever they cast has to be able to do that.
(thanks to historiophiliac for the heads up)
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 0
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)