Jun 10, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Glen Burke is often credited with being the first openly gay major league baseball player. It probably depends on your definition of “openly,” as he did not make his sexual orientation known to the public until after he retired, though he was out to many of his teammates with the Dodgers and the A’s. I guess how you characterize it all depends on how much stock you put on someone being out “in the locker room,” literally speaking.
At any rate, Burke wrote a book about his life before he died in 1995 and a documentary as made about him and aired in 2011. Now, a Hollywood star is trying to get a feature film made:
Actress Jamie Lee Curtis is making progress on her project of producing a film version of the life of the first openly gay baseball player, Glenn Burke, reports Deadline. Laramie Project producer Ross Katz just signed on to write the film, which the Halloween star has been endeavoring to develop for some time. Titled Out at Home: The Glenn Burke Story, the picture is based on the memoir of the same name, written by Burke with Erik Sherman; the book came out in 1995, the same year Burke died of AIDS complications.
Also: Burke is often credited with inventing the high five, so whoever they cast has to be able to do that.
(thanks to historiophiliac for the heads up)
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)