Joey Gallo made his Double-A debut with a walk-off homer

Jun 10, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

Joey Gallo, Guilder Rodriguez Joey Gallo, Guilder Rodriguez

Rangers prospect Joey Gallo destroyed high Single-A to the tune of a .323 batting average, 21 homers, and a 1.199 OPS in 58 games, earning the slugging third baseman a much-deserved promotion to Double-A over the weekend.

Gallo made his Double-A debut last night and the 20-year-old former first-round draft pick delivered a walk-off home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning of a tie game. Because, really, why wouldn’t that be what happened?

Of course, the big question with Gallo despite his spectacular production in the low minors and ridiculous raw power is whether he can control the strike zone well enough to thrive versus more advanced pitching. And sure enough, before the walk-off homer he was 0-for-4 with three strikeouts last night.

Gallo leads the minors with 22 homers this season and has homered 84 times in 229 career games, but he’s also racked up 317 strikeouts in those 229 games. I’m very curious to see how he fares against Double-A pitchers.

1. dondada10 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:39 PM

At this point, simply not getting injured has to be a good sign for anybody in the Rangers organization.

2. travishenrykid - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

“Did you say Gallo with a G?” “yes I did.” “Jerry Gallo’s dead. I’m not Jerry Gallo. I’m Jerry CALLO. C-a-l-l-o.”

• moogro - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Shoot, you beat me to it.

• Old Gator - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM

When Dylan writes a song about him, he will have truly arrived.

• raysfan1 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Glad I’m not the only one whose mind immediately went to “My Cousin Vinny.”

• Jeff - Jun 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I love seeing the majority of the comments about that movie rather than the player himself, too funny

• dondada10 - Jun 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM

My biological clock is ticking.

3. timmmah10 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Career trend: See Mark Reynolds.

Three legends off to Cooperstown