Jun 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Twins starter Mike Pelfrey was placed on the disabled list in early May because of a groin injury.
And he might not make it back this season.
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Pelfrey underwent previously-unannounced surgery on his right elbow Tuesday to relieve pressure from his ulnar nerve. The recovery period for such a procedure is 2-4 months, meaning the right-hander is out until at least early August and could very well be in rehab mode through early October.
Pelfrey, who somehow scored a two-year, $11 million free agent contract from Minnesota over the winter, had registered a horrid 7.99 ERA and 1.99 WHIP through 23 2/3 innings (five starts) this season.
Via our friend Ryan Boyer from Rotoworld …
Assuming this surgery ends his year, Pelfrey will have been paid $9.5M by Twins to post a 5.56 ERA over 34 starts. Owed $5.5M more in 2015.
— Ryan Boyer (@RyanPBoyer) June 10, 2014
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)