Jun 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Twins starter Mike Pelfrey was placed on the disabled list in early May because of a groin injury.
And he might not make it back this season.
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Pelfrey underwent previously-unannounced surgery on his right elbow Tuesday to relieve pressure from his ulnar nerve. The recovery period for such a procedure is 2-4 months, meaning the right-hander is out until at least early August and could very well be in rehab mode through early October.
Pelfrey, who somehow scored a two-year, $11 million free agent contract from Minnesota over the winter, had registered a horrid 7.99 ERA and 1.99 WHIP through 23 2/3 innings (five starts) this season.
Via our friend Ryan Boyer from Rotoworld …
Assuming this surgery ends his year, Pelfrey will have been paid $9.5M by Twins to post a 5.56 ERA over 34 starts. Owed $5.5M more in 2015.
— Ryan Boyer (@RyanPBoyer) June 10, 2014
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)