Jun 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Twins starter Mike Pelfrey was placed on the disabled list in early May because of a groin injury.
And he might not make it back this season.
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Pelfrey underwent previously-unannounced surgery on his right elbow Tuesday to relieve pressure from his ulnar nerve. The recovery period for such a procedure is 2-4 months, meaning the right-hander is out until at least early August and could very well be in rehab mode through early October.
Pelfrey, who somehow scored a two-year, $11 million free agent contract from Minnesota over the winter, had registered a horrid 7.99 ERA and 1.99 WHIP through 23 2/3 innings (five starts) this season.
Via our friend Ryan Boyer from Rotoworld …
Assuming this surgery ends his year, Pelfrey will have been paid $9.5M by Twins to post a 5.56 ERA over 34 starts. Owed $5.5M more in 2015.
— Ryan Boyer (@RyanPBoyer) June 10, 2014
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)