Jun 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Twins starter Mike Pelfrey was placed on the disabled list in early May because of a groin injury.
And he might not make it back this season.
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Pelfrey underwent previously-unannounced surgery on his right elbow Tuesday to relieve pressure from his ulnar nerve. The recovery period for such a procedure is 2-4 months, meaning the right-hander is out until at least early August and could very well be in rehab mode through early October.
Pelfrey, who somehow scored a two-year, $11 million free agent contract from Minnesota over the winter, had registered a horrid 7.99 ERA and 1.99 WHIP through 23 2/3 innings (five starts) this season.
Via our friend Ryan Boyer from Rotoworld …
Assuming this surgery ends his year, Pelfrey will have been paid $9.5M by Twins to post a 5.56 ERA over 34 starts. Owed $5.5M more in 2015.
— Ryan Boyer (@RyanPBoyer) June 10, 2014
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)