Jun 10, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Twins starter Mike Pelfrey was placed on the disabled list in early May because of a groin injury.
And he might not make it back this season.
Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Pelfrey underwent previously-unannounced surgery on his right elbow Tuesday to relieve pressure from his ulnar nerve. The recovery period for such a procedure is 2-4 months, meaning the right-hander is out until at least early August and could very well be in rehab mode through early October.
Pelfrey, who somehow scored a two-year, $11 million free agent contract from Minnesota over the winter, had registered a horrid 7.99 ERA and 1.99 WHIP through 23 2/3 innings (five starts) this season.
Via our friend Ryan Boyer from Rotoworld …
Assuming this surgery ends his year, Pelfrey will have been paid $9.5M by Twins to post a 5.56 ERA over 34 starts. Owed $5.5M more in 2015.
— Ryan Boyer (@RyanPBoyer) June 10, 2014
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)