Jun 10, 2014, 11:39 PM EST
The 36-year-old infielder’s legs are holding up nicely, and the Marlins could reinstate him as early as Friday for the start of the homestand against the Pirates.
“I don’t know when that day is coming, but it is probably coming soon,” Miami manager Mike Redmond said. “It was coming soon about a month ago, too, and it didn’t. I think it’s safe to say coming soon.”
Furcal signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract with Miami over the winter and was expected to open 2014 as the Marlins’ starting second baseman, but he injured his left hamstring at the end of spring training and then suffered a groin strain on a late-April rehab assignment.
Furcal hasn’t played in the majors since 2012, when he batted .264/.325/.346 for the Cardinals.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)