Manny Machado suspended for five games, Fernando Abad fined as a result of Sunday’s bat-throwing incident
Jun 10, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Major League Baseball has announced a five-game suspension for Orioles third baseman Manny Machado as a result of his bat-throwing antics in the Orioles-Athletics game on Sunday. He has also received an undisclosed fine. Fernando Abad, the A’s pitcher who threw at Machado, has received an undisclosed fine but no suspension.
Tim Brown of Yahoo was the first to report that the discipline was coming down. Brown says Machado will appeal the suspension.
Reaction? It seems light to me. The last time someone was suspended for throwing a bat the way Machado did was in 2002 when the Red Sox’ Trot Nixon helicoptered a bat at Devil Rays pitcher Ryan Rupe. Nixon got four games. Thing is, however, since 2002 the suspensions for on-field things like beanballs and starting fights have gone up a few games. In light of that, one would think that inflation would hit something as severe as bat-throwing a bit harder than it appears to have.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 105
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 17
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 38
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 41
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 351
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (352)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (193)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)