Jun 10, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Here’s where the team that has lost 100+ games for three straight years stands compared to the defending World Champions and a Tampa Bay team which has averaged 91.6 wins over the past six seasons:
- Houston Astros: 29-36, .446 winning pct.
- Boston Red Sox: 28-35, .444 winning pct.
- Tampa Bay Rays: 24-41, .369 winning pct.
This comes as the Rays have skidded, the Red Sox have, with the exception of one nice week, skidded pretty badly themselves and as the Astros have won 12 of their last 16. So yes, we’re seeing the Astros at their absolute best and the Sox and Rays at their worst.
Personally, I think the Sox are a clearly better team than either of them in terms of talent and potential for the rest of the season and I would be utterly shocked if they don’t finish with a significantly better record than Houston does. But man, it’s weird and kinda neat to see stuff like this. At least if you’re not a Red Sox fan.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)