Cliff Lee throws a baseball for the first time since May 18

Jun 11, 2014, 10:18 PM EST

cliff lee phillies getty Getty Images

Jim Saslibury of CSNPhilly.com has the story …

Cliff Lee has made a small, but positive, step in his recovery from a strained left elbow.

Lee made 35-40 tosses Wednesday in what he called “a light throwing” session. It was the first time he’d thrown since he made his last start May 18.

“He felt normal,” Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg told CSNPhilly.com following Wednesday’s short throwing workout. “There’s pretty much no sensation in there.”

Lee is on the disabled list currently with a strained flexor-pronator tendon in his left elbow.

If he makes it back before the July 31 trade deadline, he’ll be a prime candidate to be moved.

The 35-year-old southpaw is making $25 million this season and owed $25 million next season.

1. gbart22 - Jun 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM

That’s not exactly a long time

2. Kevin S. - Jun 11, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I guess he was finally able to close in on that ball he kept trying to pick up.

3. mungman69 - Jun 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM

The Phillies have now won two in a row (the Padres stink) so Rubin the G.M. will say that these Phillies can win it all and he won’t trade away anyone. EXCEPT for some old guys.

• scotttheskeptic - Jun 11, 2014 at 10:39 PM

We have roster members who aren’t “old guys”?

• ewyorksockexchange - Jun 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM

We do, but they play like they’re old. Either below average, or just generally terrible. On a bright note, Ben revere has five walks on the season! Maybe the boost in obp will make him tradable.

Wait, no, he’s still terrible.

4. scotttheskeptic - Jun 11, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I hope for the best – for the Phillies and for Cliff Lee. I love watching pitch. I just cannot shake this nagging feeling that this is not going to end well. Very little faith in the team’s medical staff, no confidence that Cliff will be honest with them, and (I hope I’m wrong) even less confidence that we see Cliff on the mound again.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Let’s hope that at 35 yrs old that Cliffy is honest with them for his sake…

Before this, I don’t think he’d ever been on the DL and if I’m wrong and he has, it wasn’t much or for long.

Overall, he’s been remarkably durable and has pitched well into his mid 30′s.

I think he realizes that at his advanced age, if he starts messing up and really gets hurt , missing a season for Tommy John is a big thing when one is already 35 yrs old.

Let’s say he has 4 more seasons to pitch/play. He’d be missing a full quarter or 25% of the time he has left in the game.

If he isn’t smart enough to take the ounce of prevention tact or course, well then…

Something tells me has does take the ounce of prevention course as it’s how he’s made it to 35 yrs old with so little downtime.

He almost always starts 30 plus games each season (not every one though)…

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM

35 is Advanced Age? Crap my birthday is this Monday. I guess can own the “Old Man” moniker then.

5. gbart22 - Jun 12, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Where the phillies went wrong in my opinion was resigning Rollins instead of going after Reyes who I think combined with Howard and utley even in a decline would have kept them competitive also one has to wonder about that outfield. For a team that spends as much as the Phil’s why couldn’t they have gone and found someone like Cruz for this year?

• toodrunktotastethischicken - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The PED’S and loss of draft pick is the biggest reason. They got Marlon Byrd on a safer bet 2 year deal.

6. courtjester1234 - Jun 12, 2014 at 6:34 AM

@gbart, Reyes? Really? He’s a total turd is if you notice where every he plays that team doesn’t have success? That’s because he’s a me me me player. After they won it in 08 I said they should have traded Utley. Not because I don’t like him but because he had the highest return value to the team. You could have got a whole bunch of talent back for him then. The J-Roll resigning was a bad move and Ryan Howard’s contract looked like a solid move when it was 1st signed but now is an anchor holding them back from moving him to another team without eating 70% of that contract

7. floreskins - Jun 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I’m actually hoping Lee doesn’t get healthy by the deadline. That way Amaro can be fired in the off season (or sooner), and a competent baseball mind will be entrusted with getting the proper value on a deal for a pitcher of Lee’s caliber.

• jrbdmb - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Problem is that $25M owed for next year. The Phillies are usually unwilling to eat any salary in a trade, and the few teams willing and able to buy a suspect 35-year-old arm for $25M ain’t going to be offering much in return.

8. mungman69 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I just read that when Ben Revere walked the other night that it was his first walk EVER to lead off an INNING. He has over 1,500 plate appearances with no power, not even doubles power, and he can’t walk? And I have never seen a weaker arm in the outfield.

• greymares - Jun 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

he can’t walk if they throw him strikes and since he can’t hurt them with power, he sees more pitches down the middle of the plate than anybody else.

9. mungman69 - Jun 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Good point, greymares!

• xmatt0926x - Jun 12, 2014 at 2:00 PM

It is a good point, but still, he just sucks. Sorry to all the fans who still say “but dude, he’s hitting .285!”. Yeah…and he never walks so his OBP is like…… .285.

10. mungman69 - Jun 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

You should see Ben throw from centerfield to home plate. Well, to the pitchers’ mound. Well…..

11. disgracedfury - Jun 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM

See you with the Yankees.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5145)