Jonathan Papelbon on 300th save: “It means a lot to me”

Jun 11, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

It was a long time between save opportunities for the PhilliesJonathan Papelbon. Since May 24 Papelbon really had no need to warm up for the ninth inning, since there were no games to save.

Maybe that’s why he decided to let Tuesday’s night’s chance against the San Diego Padres linger a little longer than he should have. Entering the ninth with a three-run lead, Papelbon loaded the bases with two outs before finally closing it down with a ground ball by Tommy Medica (see game recap).

No harm, no foul.

And with that tightrope act, Papelbon became the 26th pitcher in big-league history to register 300 saves. Moreover, he did it in fewer games than anyone except for Trevor Hoffman.

Fittingly, Papelbon got No. 300 against Hoffman’s former team.

Nevertheless, Papelbon’s journey to 300 saves wasn’t exactly quixotic, though it wasn’t without its detours. A starter in the minors, Papelbon successfully lobbied Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein to move him to the closer role.

Perhaps closing games is what has kept Papelbon off the disabled list for his entire 10 years in the big leagues.

“It means a lot to me, more than what most people would probably think,” Papelbon said after escaping with his 14th save of the season. “I started this a long time ago and I was supposed to be a starter. Theo Epstein wanted to make me a starter and I told him I didn’t want to be a starter. It’s been a long journey since then. I don’t know how happy he was when I told him I wanted to do that, but it’s all turned out the way I expected it and hoped it would. I got to keep working hard and keep putting in the work to stay healthy and hopefully try to get another 300 if I stay healthy.”

In Phillies history, closers have been more like Haley’s Comet than Old Faithful. Jose Mesa has the franchise record with 112 saves, notching 87 of them in his first two seasons with the team. Brad Lidge left Philly with 100 saves and 41 of them came during that magical 2008 season.

With 81 saves in a little more than two seasons and a contract that runs through 2015 with a vesting option for 2016, Papelbon could blow past Mesa’s record. Considering Papelbon’s ability to stay off the disabled list, there’s no reason why he can’t match Hoffman’s mark of 601 saves. After all, Hoffman got all but 10 of his saves in 14 of his 18 seasons and missed nearly all of the 2003 season on the disabled list.

Though Papelbon has lost a little off his fastball and he struggled in Tuesday’s game, he has converted all but one of his save chances this season. Better yet, Papelbon has posted a 1.48 ERA and has 12 1-2-3 innings in his 25 appearances.

Despite this, Papelbon’s strikeout rate is at a career low and his walk rate has doubled since last season. However, Papelbon has allowed just two extra-base hits this season and has held the opposition to a .195 batting average. Even at the start of his career when he was taking over the role as closer for the Red Sox, Papelbon only held opponents to a lower batting average just once.

So how does he stay healthy and convert saves even though his fastball isn’t as sharp?

Easy. It’s all upstairs, Papelbon said.

“It’s a mental grind and you have to stay focused the best you can,” Papelbon said. “There is no way to really duplicate a game-on-the-line type situation, but for me I just try to stay focused. It’s more mental than physical.

“That’s one of the main reasons why I decided to become a closer. I don’t know why, but I like the rollercoaster ride and it is what it is. I like coming to the yard every day knowing I have a chance to go in there or not. It’s hard to explain.”

It also helps that the closer’s role is much more refined than it once was. Papelbon, Hoffman and the all-time saves leader, Mariano Rivera, rarely pitch more than one inning. Bruce Sutter, the Hall of Fame pitcher who finished his career with 300 saves in 12 seasons, rarely worked so little. In fact, in his 661 games, Sutter pitched more than one inning 407 times.

In 1984, Sutter appeared in a career-high 71 games and pitched 122 innings. Papelbon got to 131 innings in his first 131 games with the Phillies.

For that, Papelbon gave praise to Rivera for redefining the role and allowing pitchers like himself to save more games and have longer careers.

“The closer’s role is what it is today because of Mariano Rivera. There is no other man that is solely responsible for it but him,” Papelbon said. “In my opinion, he made the role what it is today and I’ve told him many a time that he’s the godfather of all closers. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be in this type of situation today. When I was in Boston, I used to joke with him all the time. He’d come back for another year and play and it seemed like he had some kind of fountain of youth over there in Panama. He made it harder and harder for me every year. Everyone’s chasing him, so hopefully one day I can get somewhere close to him and we’ll see what happens if I can stay healthy.”

It’s worth noting that Mesa ceded the closer’s role to Mike Williams at the end of his tenure in Philadelphia. And Lidge gave way to Ryan Madson at the end of his time in town. Working on his third season, Papelbon isn’t looking over his shoulder yet.

Latest Posts
  1. Billy Hamilton steals four bases against the Twins, now up to 40 stolen bases on the year

Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT

CINCINNATI, OH - JUNE 29: Billy Hamilton #6 of the Cincinnati Reds steals second base in the second inning against the Minnesota Twins at Great American Ball Park on June 29, 2015 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images) Getty Images

Hamilton now has 40 stolen bases on the year, which is more than 15 MLB teams. You are reading that correctly.

2. Pablo Sandoval swung at a pitch tonight that was five feet off the ground

Jun 29, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT

sandoval 1

You’ve probably heard this advice for hitting knuckleballers before: If it’s low, let it go. If it’s high, let it fly. Well, Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval took that to the extreme tonight against R.A. Dickey of the Blue Jays…

3. Khris Davis to begin minor league rehab assignment Wednesday

Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

ATLANTA GA - MAY 22:  Khris Davis #18 of the Milwaukee Brewers stretches in the batter's box during the first inning of a baseball game on May 22, 2015 at Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Butch Dill/Getty Images) Getty Images

Brewers outfielder Khris Davis needed surgery about a month ago for a torn meniscus in his right knee.

4. Mets, Dodgers not having “active discussions” about Jon Niese trade

Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT

TORONTO, CANADA - JUNE 17: Jon Niese #49 of the New York Mets makes his way from the bullpen to the dugout before the start of the MLB game against the Toronto Blue Jays on June 17, 2015 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images) Getty Images

It was reported over the weekend that the Dodgers and Cubs were among the teams with interest in a trade for Mets left-hander Jon Niese.

5. MRI comes back negative on Hanley Ramirez’s hand

Jun 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPTcxZThlNjJlYTk2MzE4ZmFhMzc4MDliNDI4YjY5ZDUy Getty Images

Ramirez has been cleared to swing a bat and Red Sox manager John Farrell is optimistic that he’ll be able to return during the team’s four-game series in Toronto this week.

6. Tigers acquire infielder Alexi Casilla from Rays

Jun 29, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

PORT CHARLOTTE, FL - FEBRUARY 27:  Alexi Casilla #10 of the Tampa Bay Rays poses for a photo on photo day at Charlotte Sports Park on February 27, 2015 in Port Charlotte, Florida.  (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images) Getty Images

Casilla has mostly played at the Triple-A level for the past two seasons.

7. C.J. Cron hits his way back into the Angels’ plans

Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

C.J. Cron Getty Images

Cron hit well at Triple-A, batting .323 with six homers and a 1.014 OPS.

8. Wanna buy Felix Hernandez’s house?

Jun 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

Felix Hernandez house

It’ll only cost you a cool $3.8 million.

9. The Orioles shut down Dylan Bundy

Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

More bad health news for a guy who has had his fair share of it in his brief career.

10. Ruben Amaro will be making all of the Phillies’ moves for the rest of the season

Jun 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT

Ruben Amaro Getty Images

As of now, Ruben Amaro is in control here, in the White House. Er, I mean in the Phillies’ front office.

11. NL All-Star voting update: Carpenter vs. Frazier, Holliday vs. Aoki

Jun 29, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT

Matt Carpenter AP

Six of the eight spots seem all but settled.

12. AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup

Jun 29, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT

All-Star Logo

By this time next week we may have an actually acceptable All-Star squad for the Junior Circuit.

13. Oakland may have to choose between the A’s and the Raiders

Jun 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Oakland Athletics Getty Images

I know which one I’d choose, but then again I’m biased on the subject.

14. Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics

Jun 29, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT

phillies logo Getty Images

He will become President, overseeing baseball and business operations, at the end of the season.

15. The Rays were early supporters of the same-sex marriage case as well

Jun 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Rays logo

It wasn’t just the Giants who signed on to the amicus brief.

16. Mets move Wilmer Flores off shortstop

Jun 29, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT

Wilmer Flores AP AP

He’s a second baseman now.

1. S. Matz (4146)