Jonathan Papelbon on 300th save: “It means a lot to me”

Jun 11, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

It was a long time between save opportunities for the PhilliesJonathan Papelbon. Since May 24 Papelbon really had no need to warm up for the ninth inning, since there were no games to save.

Maybe that’s why he decided to let Tuesday’s night’s chance against the San Diego Padres linger a little longer than he should have. Entering the ninth with a three-run lead, Papelbon loaded the bases with two outs before finally closing it down with a ground ball by Tommy Medica (see game recap).

No harm, no foul.

And with that tightrope act, Papelbon became the 26th pitcher in big-league history to register 300 saves. Moreover, he did it in fewer games than anyone except for Trevor Hoffman.

Fittingly, Papelbon got No. 300 against Hoffman’s former team.

Nevertheless, Papelbon’s journey to 300 saves wasn’t exactly quixotic, though it wasn’t without its detours. A starter in the minors, Papelbon successfully lobbied Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein to move him to the closer role.

Perhaps closing games is what has kept Papelbon off the disabled list for his entire 10 years in the big leagues.

“It means a lot to me, more than what most people would probably think,” Papelbon said after escaping with his 14th save of the season. “I started this a long time ago and I was supposed to be a starter. Theo Epstein wanted to make me a starter and I told him I didn’t want to be a starter. It’s been a long journey since then. I don’t know how happy he was when I told him I wanted to do that, but it’s all turned out the way I expected it and hoped it would. I got to keep working hard and keep putting in the work to stay healthy and hopefully try to get another 300 if I stay healthy.”

In Phillies history, closers have been more like Haley’s Comet than Old Faithful. Jose Mesa has the franchise record with 112 saves, notching 87 of them in his first two seasons with the team. Brad Lidge left Philly with 100 saves and 41 of them came during that magical 2008 season.

With 81 saves in a little more than two seasons and a contract that runs through 2015 with a vesting option for 2016, Papelbon could blow past Mesa’s record. Considering Papelbon’s ability to stay off the disabled list, there’s no reason why he can’t match Hoffman’s mark of 601 saves. After all, Hoffman got all but 10 of his saves in 14 of his 18 seasons and missed nearly all of the 2003 season on the disabled list.

Though Papelbon has lost a little off his fastball and he struggled in Tuesday’s game, he has converted all but one of his save chances this season. Better yet, Papelbon has posted a 1.48 ERA and has 12 1-2-3 innings in his 25 appearances.

Despite this, Papelbon’s strikeout rate is at a career low and his walk rate has doubled since last season. However, Papelbon has allowed just two extra-base hits this season and has held the opposition to a .195 batting average. Even at the start of his career when he was taking over the role as closer for the Red Sox, Papelbon only held opponents to a lower batting average just once.

So how does he stay healthy and convert saves even though his fastball isn’t as sharp?

Easy. It’s all upstairs, Papelbon said.

“It’s a mental grind and you have to stay focused the best you can,” Papelbon said. “There is no way to really duplicate a game-on-the-line type situation, but for me I just try to stay focused. It’s more mental than physical.

“That’s one of the main reasons why I decided to become a closer. I don’t know why, but I like the rollercoaster ride and it is what it is. I like coming to the yard every day knowing I have a chance to go in there or not. It’s hard to explain.”

It also helps that the closer’s role is much more refined than it once was. Papelbon, Hoffman and the all-time saves leader, Mariano Rivera, rarely pitch more than one inning. Bruce Sutter, the Hall of Fame pitcher who finished his career with 300 saves in 12 seasons, rarely worked so little. In fact, in his 661 games, Sutter pitched more than one inning 407 times.

In 1984, Sutter appeared in a career-high 71 games and pitched 122 innings. Papelbon got to 131 innings in his first 131 games with the Phillies.

For that, Papelbon gave praise to Rivera for redefining the role and allowing pitchers like himself to save more games and have longer careers.

“The closer’s role is what it is today because of Mariano Rivera. There is no other man that is solely responsible for it but him,” Papelbon said. “In my opinion, he made the role what it is today and I’ve told him many a time that he’s the godfather of all closers. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be in this type of situation today. When I was in Boston, I used to joke with him all the time. He’d come back for another year and play and it seemed like he had some kind of fountain of youth over there in Panama. He made it harder and harder for me every year. Everyone’s chasing him, so hopefully one day I can get somewhere close to him and we’ll see what happens if I can stay healthy.”

It’s worth noting that Mesa ceded the closer’s role to Mike Williams at the end of his tenure in Philadelphia. And Lidge gave way to Ryan Madson at the end of his time in town. Working on his third season, Papelbon isn’t looking over his shoulder yet.

Latest Posts
  1. Orioles drop $5 million outfielder Alejandro De Aza

May 27, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT

Alejandro De Aza AP AP

De Aza played very well for the Orioles down the stretch last season.

2. Angels acquire outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Mets

May 27, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Kirk Nieuwenhuis Getty Images

Several reports last week had the Angels in the market for outfield help.

3. The “Selig Experience” attraction opens this week at Miller Park

May 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig speaks during a news conference in New York Reuters

“A multimedia show featuring a virtual Selig.” Yes, that’s actually a thing.

4. Matt Wieters begins rehab assignment with two hits

May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Matt Wieters Getty Getty Images

He’s about 11 months removed from Tommy John surgery.

5. Cubs release left-hander Phil Coke

May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs relief pitcher Phil Coke throws against the Milwaukee Brewers during the seventh inning of a baseball game, Saturday, May 2, 2015 in Chicago. (AP Photo/David Banks) AP

Coke signed a one-year, $2.25 million deal with the Cubs this offseason.

6. Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager

May 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP

And you think my A-Rod trolling kung-fu is the best. Heck, I’m an amateur.

7. Matt Adams is hurt, so the Cardinals turn to Mark Reynolds

May 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT

matt adams getty Getty Images

Adams hurt his quadriceps while running out a double.

8. Video: Carlos Correa hit a monster home run in Fresno

May 27, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

carlos correa getty Getty Images

He has three homers and is hitting .283/.353/.500 in 14 Triple-A games. At the age of 20.

9. Rays release Grant Balfour for the second time this season

May 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Grant Balfour AP

Last month the Rays released right-hander Grant Balfour from his $7 million big-league contract and then re-signed him to a minor-league deal.

10. Video: Kris Bryant hit a 477-foot homer off the new video board at Wrigley Field

May 27, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT

Kris Bryant Getty Images

It smacked off the new video board at Wrigley Field, depriving the folks on Waveland Avenue of a home run ball.

11. Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade

May 27, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT

MIAMI GARDENS, FL - APRIL 26: Juan Uribe #5 of the Los Angeles Dodgers looks on during a game against the Florida Marlins at Sun Life Stadium on April 26, 2011 in Miami Gardens, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images) Getty Images

No real clear winner, no real clear loser. Indeed, in this trade, that’s almost beside the point.

12. Kevin Cash on umpiring in the Rays-M’s game: “It’s terrible. They ought to be embarrassed.”

May 27, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT

Kevin Cash Getty Images

Major League Baseball will likely fine Cash for his postgame comments. Because, while umpires don’t have much apparent accountability for their actions, managers do.

13. Justin Verlander threw four simulated innings on Tuesday

May 26, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT

justin verlander getty Getty Images

Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander took what might be the final step before a rehab assignment Tuesday afternoon at Oakland’s O.Co Coliseum …

14. Jean Segura to return from fractured pinkie on Friday

May 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT

jean segura getty Getty Images

Brewers shortstop Jean Segura appeared to be in for an extended absence when he landed on the disabled list May 14 with a fracture in the pinkie on his throwing hand …

15. So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on …

May 26, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT

uribe getty Getty Images

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the trade is done and is only awaiting approval from the commissioner’s office.

16. Video: Hunter Pence hit a laser beam homer in Milwaukee

May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

hunter pence getty Getty Images

Check out this laser shot that Hunter Pence crushed Tuesday night at Milwaukee’s Miller Park …

1. J. Hamilton (3586)