Jonathan Papelbon on 300th save: “It means a lot to me”

Jun 11, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

It was a long time between save opportunities for the PhilliesJonathan Papelbon. Since May 24 Papelbon really had no need to warm up for the ninth inning, since there were no games to save.

Maybe that’s why he decided to let Tuesday’s night’s chance against the San Diego Padres linger a little longer than he should have. Entering the ninth with a three-run lead, Papelbon loaded the bases with two outs before finally closing it down with a ground ball by Tommy Medica (see game recap).

No harm, no foul.

And with that tightrope act, Papelbon became the 26th pitcher in big-league history to register 300 saves. Moreover, he did it in fewer games than anyone except for Trevor Hoffman.

Fittingly, Papelbon got No. 300 against Hoffman’s former team.

Nevertheless, Papelbon’s journey to 300 saves wasn’t exactly quixotic, though it wasn’t without its detours. A starter in the minors, Papelbon successfully lobbied Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein to move him to the closer role.

Perhaps closing games is what has kept Papelbon off the disabled list for his entire 10 years in the big leagues.

“It means a lot to me, more than what most people would probably think,” Papelbon said after escaping with his 14th save of the season. “I started this a long time ago and I was supposed to be a starter. Theo Epstein wanted to make me a starter and I told him I didn’t want to be a starter. It’s been a long journey since then. I don’t know how happy he was when I told him I wanted to do that, but it’s all turned out the way I expected it and hoped it would. I got to keep working hard and keep putting in the work to stay healthy and hopefully try to get another 300 if I stay healthy.”

In Phillies history, closers have been more like Haley’s Comet than Old Faithful. Jose Mesa has the franchise record with 112 saves, notching 87 of them in his first two seasons with the team. Brad Lidge left Philly with 100 saves and 41 of them came during that magical 2008 season.

With 81 saves in a little more than two seasons and a contract that runs through 2015 with a vesting option for 2016, Papelbon could blow past Mesa’s record. Considering Papelbon’s ability to stay off the disabled list, there’s no reason why he can’t match Hoffman’s mark of 601 saves. After all, Hoffman got all but 10 of his saves in 14 of his 18 seasons and missed nearly all of the 2003 season on the disabled list.

Though Papelbon has lost a little off his fastball and he struggled in Tuesday’s game, he has converted all but one of his save chances this season. Better yet, Papelbon has posted a 1.48 ERA and has 12 1-2-3 innings in his 25 appearances.

Despite this, Papelbon’s strikeout rate is at a career low and his walk rate has doubled since last season. However, Papelbon has allowed just two extra-base hits this season and has held the opposition to a .195 batting average. Even at the start of his career when he was taking over the role as closer for the Red Sox, Papelbon only held opponents to a lower batting average just once.

So how does he stay healthy and convert saves even though his fastball isn’t as sharp?

Easy. It’s all upstairs, Papelbon said.

“It’s a mental grind and you have to stay focused the best you can,” Papelbon said. “There is no way to really duplicate a game-on-the-line type situation, but for me I just try to stay focused. It’s more mental than physical.

“That’s one of the main reasons why I decided to become a closer. I don’t know why, but I like the rollercoaster ride and it is what it is. I like coming to the yard every day knowing I have a chance to go in there or not. It’s hard to explain.”

It also helps that the closer’s role is much more refined than it once was. Papelbon, Hoffman and the all-time saves leader, Mariano Rivera, rarely pitch more than one inning. Bruce Sutter, the Hall of Fame pitcher who finished his career with 300 saves in 12 seasons, rarely worked so little. In fact, in his 661 games, Sutter pitched more than one inning 407 times.

In 1984, Sutter appeared in a career-high 71 games and pitched 122 innings. Papelbon got to 131 innings in his first 131 games with the Phillies.

For that, Papelbon gave praise to Rivera for redefining the role and allowing pitchers like himself to save more games and have longer careers.

“The closer’s role is what it is today because of Mariano Rivera. There is no other man that is solely responsible for it but him,” Papelbon said. “In my opinion, he made the role what it is today and I’ve told him many a time that he’s the godfather of all closers. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be in this type of situation today. When I was in Boston, I used to joke with him all the time. He’d come back for another year and play and it seemed like he had some kind of fountain of youth over there in Panama. He made it harder and harder for me every year. Everyone’s chasing him, so hopefully one day I can get somewhere close to him and we’ll see what happens if I can stay healthy.”

It’s worth noting that Mesa ceded the closer’s role to Mike Williams at the end of his tenure in Philadelphia. And Lidge gave way to Ryan Madson at the end of his time in town. Working on his third season, Papelbon isn’t looking over his shoulder yet.

Latest Posts
  1. David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff

Sep 3, 2015, 10:38 AM EDT

David Ortiz Getty Images

Not that either of those things are valid reasons to keep a guy out of the Hall of Fame.

2. Dodgers calling up No. 1 prospect Corey Seager for MLB debut

Sep 3, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT

Corey Seager Dodgers AP

Considered by many to be the No. 1 prospect in baseball.

3. And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Sep 3, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT

Clayton Kershaw AP

Clayton Kershaw strikes out 15 as the Dodgers sweep the Giants.

4. Video: Justin Turner pulls off a slick slide at second base

Sep 3, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT

Justin Turner AP

Justin Turner was going to be out by a mile on this ill-advised stolen base attempt in the bottom of the fourth inning Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium, but he got a little creative …

5. Kyle Schwarber undergoing MRI for right side injury

Sep 2, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT

Kyle Schwarber AP

There’s expected to be an update coming Thursday.

6. Video: Ruben Tejada hits inside-the-park home run as Mets rout the Phillies at Citi Field

Sep 2, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT

Ruben Tejada AP

Ruben Tejada scored an inside-the-park home run Wednesday at Citi Field when Phillies outfielder Domonic Brown flipped over the wall down the right field line in the bottom of the second inning …

7. Stephen Strasburg ruled out Friday with upper back issue

Sep 2, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT

Stephen Strasburg AP

Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg was pulled after four rough innings Sunday against the Marlins with discomfort in his upper back, and now the injury is going to cost him his next rotation turn.

8. Twins will not call up Jose Berrios

Sep 2, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT

Jose Berrios AP

It shows very poor planning on the part of the Twins’ decision-makers, who let Berrios throw 161 1/3 innings this season between Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Rochester …

9. Carlos Martinez to return to Cardinals’ rotation on Friday

Sep 2, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Cardinals right-hander Carlos Martinez was scratched from his scheduled start Tuesday night against the Nationals with what was described as a minor back issue.

10. Paul Goldschmidt excused from Diamondbacks to be present for the birth of his first child

Sep 2, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Arizona has a scheduled team off day Thursday, so Goldschmidt is only going to miss a game or two.

11. Video: Albert Pujols cranks his 35th home run of the season, 555th home run of his career

Sep 2, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT

Albert Pujols AP

Pujols is now just one of four players in the history of Major League Baseball to reach the 35-homer plateau in 10 of his first 15 major league seasons.

12. Giants release infielder Everth Cabrera

Sep 2, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Everth Cabrera Everth Cabrera

Cabrera signed a minor league deal with San Francisco in mid-July after getting released by the Orioles.

13. Mike Rizzo thinks Matt Williams “pushed all the right buttons” last night

Sep 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT

Mike Rizzo Getty Images

He said the job he did was “masterful.” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

14. Cardinals skip Michael Wacha from start to limit innings

Sep 2, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT

wacha getty Getty Images

Left-hander Tyler Lyons will start in Wacha’s place against the Nationals.

1. G. Stanton (2620)