Jun 11, 2014, 9:03 PM EST
MLB.com beat reporter Jenifer Langosch has the update, which can be considered promising news for the Cardinals and their ace …
Adam Wainwright, who disclosed after his Tuesday night start that he has been battling tendinitis for the past few weeks, returned to St. Louis on Wednesday to have an MRI on his right elbow.
The exam showed that the soreness is not the result of damage to the ligament, which was already replaced when Wainwright underwent Tommy John surgery in 2011. Instead, the Cardinals are describing the issue as similar to that of tennis elbow, a condition that can be caused by overuse and overextension of the elbow.
Wainwright was given a cortisone injection to help with the elbow discomfort. He has not been scratched yet from his next scheduled start — Monday night against the Mets — because the Cardinals’ medical staff wants to see his right elbow responds to the cortisone. A decision will be made Friday or Saturday.
Wainwright, 32, owns a 2.15 ERA and 0.927 WHIP through 14 starts this season for St. Louis.
He threw a whopping 276 2/3 innings last year between the regular season and playoffs.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)