Jun 11, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
MLB.com beat reporter Jenifer Langosch has the update, which can be considered promising news for the Cardinals and their ace …
Adam Wainwright, who disclosed after his Tuesday night start that he has been battling tendinitis for the past few weeks, returned to St. Louis on Wednesday to have an MRI on his right elbow.
The exam showed that the soreness is not the result of damage to the ligament, which was already replaced when Wainwright underwent Tommy John surgery in 2011. Instead, the Cardinals are describing the issue as similar to that of tennis elbow, a condition that can be caused by overuse and overextension of the elbow.
Wainwright was given a cortisone injection to help with the elbow discomfort. He has not been scratched yet from his next scheduled start — Monday night against the Mets — because the Cardinals’ medical staff wants to see his right elbow responds to the cortisone. A decision will be made Friday or Saturday.
Wainwright, 32, owns a 2.15 ERA and 0.927 WHIP through 14 starts this season for St. Louis.
He threw a whopping 276 2/3 innings last year between the regular season and playoffs.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)