Jun 11, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
MLB.com beat reporter Jenifer Langosch has the update, which can be considered promising news for the Cardinals and their ace …
Adam Wainwright, who disclosed after his Tuesday night start that he has been battling tendinitis for the past few weeks, returned to St. Louis on Wednesday to have an MRI on his right elbow.
The exam showed that the soreness is not the result of damage to the ligament, which was already replaced when Wainwright underwent Tommy John surgery in 2011. Instead, the Cardinals are describing the issue as similar to that of tennis elbow, a condition that can be caused by overuse and overextension of the elbow.
Wainwright was given a cortisone injection to help with the elbow discomfort. He has not been scratched yet from his next scheduled start — Monday night against the Mets — because the Cardinals’ medical staff wants to see his right elbow responds to the cortisone. A decision will be made Friday or Saturday.
Wainwright, 32, owns a 2.15 ERA and 0.927 WHIP through 14 starts this season for St. Louis.
He threw a whopping 276 2/3 innings last year between the regular season and playoffs.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)