Jun 11, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Jen Mac Ramos of The Hardball Times has a post up today that, statistically speaking, will resonate with many of you directly. And even if you don’t have a direct connection, is an interesting and thought-provoking read. It’s about how she and others have coped with depression, often by using baseball as therapy of a type:
From the perspective of a fan with a mental illness, baseball can be a way to escape from the reality.
Lindsey Adler, a BuzzFeed sports intern, noted that the unpredictability of baseball holds her attention as she has anxiety and depression. The simplicity of the game keeps it stress free for Adler.
“I’ve found baseball to be really effective in curbing my anxiety/depression,” Adler said. “Watching upwards of 150 games over the course of the season serves as a major distraction from my anxieties. It creates a routine for me, in which I spend approximately four hours every night focusing almost solely on the game.”
Jen’s touchstone: former big league pitcher Justin Duchscherer, who himself battles depression. But who also served as an inspiration for her thanks to an opportune visit to the Oakland Coliseum back in 2008.
Even if we don’t suffer from depression, I’m guessing a great many of us have used baseball as an escape of sorts and treat those three or four hours much the way she or Lindsey Adler or others do.
A good read. Do check it out.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 1
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)