Jun 11, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Eddie Butler was shut down with a shoulder injury after making his MLB debut for Colorado earlier this week and now another very good Rockies pitching prospect is headed for elbow surgery.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that right-hander Daniel Winkler will undergo Tommy John surgery and be sidelined into the middle of next season.
While not quite on Butler’s level as a prospect, Winkler is 24 years old with a very strong track record that includes dominating at Double-A this season with a 1.41 ERA and 71/17 K/BB ratio in 70 innings. Instead of being on the verge of a call-up–especially after Butler’s injury–now Winkler may not be back in the Rockies’ plans until 2016.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)