Jun 11, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Eddie Butler was shut down with a shoulder injury after making his MLB debut for Colorado earlier this week and now another very good Rockies pitching prospect is headed for elbow surgery.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that right-hander Daniel Winkler will undergo Tommy John surgery and be sidelined into the middle of next season.
While not quite on Butler’s level as a prospect, Winkler is 24 years old with a very strong track record that includes dominating at Double-A this season with a 1.41 ERA and 71/17 K/BB ratio in 70 innings. Instead of being on the verge of a call-up–especially after Butler’s injury–now Winkler may not be back in the Rockies’ plans until 2016.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)