Jun 11, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Eddie Butler was shut down with a shoulder injury after making his MLB debut for Colorado earlier this week and now another very good Rockies pitching prospect is headed for elbow surgery.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that right-hander Daniel Winkler will undergo Tommy John surgery and be sidelined into the middle of next season.
While not quite on Butler’s level as a prospect, Winkler is 24 years old with a very strong track record that includes dominating at Double-A this season with a 1.41 ERA and 71/17 K/BB ratio in 70 innings. Instead of being on the verge of a call-up–especially after Butler’s injury–now Winkler may not be back in the Rockies’ plans until 2016.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)