Jun 11, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
After I claimed that the Cespedes throw was the best I’ve ever seen, a commenter made a great point: the best part of the throw was that it inspired everyone to seek out great examples of other throws and share video. Which is totally correct. Ranking things subjectively can be fun, but why bother when we can just have some outfield assist porn?
There were five throws from four players which kept coming up in comments and on Twitter this morning: Bo Jackson nailing Harold Reynolds, Jose Guillen’s “mutant throw” from right to nail a runner on third, a Vlad Guerrero missile from back in his Expos days and two throws from Rick Ankiel in the same game, with the idea that quantity matters too.
Hard to argue with any of them, really. And of course it’s hard to judge these or Cespedes’ throw against old school throws which went down before video of great plays became as commonplace as they are these days. Personally I think Guillen’s is the most impressive due to the distance and how rarely you see someone nailed at third by the right fielder compared to base runners getting nailed at home. But like I said, it’s hard to argue.
But why argue? Let’s just watch:
All of them great, and I’m sure there are many others which match them. But I hope we can all agree on something: watching cool throws like this is way better than any home run highlight reel.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)