Jun 11, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Tanner Scheppers‘ nightmare season continues, as the Rangers right-hander is now headed back to the disabled list with elbow inflammation.
Scheppers was moved from the bullpen to the rotation as the Opening Day starter because the Rangers’ starters dropped like flies due to injuries, but he struggled and was placed on the DL with elbow problems.
He returned last week, this time as a reliever again, but made it just four appearances before being shut down. Scheppers has a 2.77 ERA in 114 career relief innings, so if he can get healthy he’d be a big part of the Rangers’ bullpen in the second half, but right now things aren’t looking so good.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (133)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)