Video: viva high school baseball trick plays

Jun 11, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

This one happened in Michigan a few days back. It was perpetrated by Beal City High School against Muskegon Catholic Central High School.

It’s the old “fake-a-pickoff-throw-to-second-base-while-everyone-acts-like-the-ball-went-into-the-outfield-thereby-inducing-the-runner-to-break-for-third-only-to-be-tagged-out-by-the-pitcher-who-never-really-threw-the-ball-in-the-first-place-while-listening-to-Radiohead’s-“No Surprises”-trick:

Which is the oldest trick in the book, really. I mean, “No Surprises” came out in 1997 and that’s practically a million years ago.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM

What would the Avocado Guy say?

• spursareold - Jun 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Holy Guacamole!

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I was thinking of the “That’s bush league, bro!” commercial that assaulted us all a couple of years back.

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Isn’t this play against the unwritten rules? Should the pitcher then be attacked with a sledgehammer? Or is it only OK if the pitcher isn’t Latino? I’m confused at this point…

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Wait Matt. You got it all wrong. It is ONLY okay to do this if the pitcher IS Latino.
      You know…hard life. Latino baseball is different. Boats. High tide. Coast Guard. Etc..

3. sabatimus - Jun 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Machado is confused as to whether he should beat up the pitcher or the ball.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jun 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Love the way the pitcher sold it by throwing slamming his hat to the ground.

5. pinkfloydprism - Jun 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

If the fake to third then first is now a balk…this should be too.

6. baberuthslegs - Jun 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

No, this is the Oldest Trick In The Book

7. slaugin - Jun 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM

This App needs serious fixes. Half the time I can’t see video, I can’t see likes/dislikes nor can I choose them, I can’t reply to a direct reply and if my comment is too long it never posts.

8. grumpyoleman - Jun 11, 2014 at 9:35 PM