Colby Rasmus to begin minor league rehab assignment tonight

Jun 12, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Colby Rasmus AP AP

Colby Rasmus has been sidelined for about a month with a right hamstring strain, but he’s getting closer to rejoining the first-place Blue Jays.

John Lott of the National Post reports that Rasmus will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Buffalo. He’ll get eased back into things as the designated hitter before playing five innings in center field tomorrow. He’ll then DH again on Saturday before being reevaluated, so it’s possible he could be activated on Sunday or after Monday’s scheduled off-day.

It was mostly feast-or-famine at the plate for Rasmus prior to the injury, as he was hitting .222 with a .266 on-base percentage to go along with nine home runs and .489 slugging percentage over 37 games.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM

This is good news. Sergio Santo is also about to go on a rehab stint.

2. proudlycanadian - Jun 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM

In his first 3 plate appearances, he has a single, a walk and a strikeout. Expect him to face the Yankees on Tuesday.

3. nottinghamforest13 - Jun 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

A complete scumbag when you take into account not only his personality but also his off the field baggage. A favourite of Keith Law, however, due to his running counter to all things Tony LaRussa.

• Mark - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:26 AM

What exactly has Rasmus done that’s made him a scumbag?

• cur'68 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Post a link to something or shut up. Just because you say crap on the internet about people doesn’t make it true.

• historiophiliac - Jun 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Did you get all pathos and run off again?

• cur'68 - Jun 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I’m building a boat at my lake. No internet. I’m only back for a bit: its my little nephew’s 5th birthday and he wants me to attend his last soccer gam of the season, so here I am. I’m certainly glad to see you’re still around. Pathos is a tricky business: I find being outside in the sunshine building stuff really helps.

• historiophiliac - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Stupid nature. Come back soon. Don’t drop your monocle in the lake.

• cur'68 - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Well, it takes 7 days for the marine resin to cure fully, then I can paint it and put the oar locks in. Its gonna be great. My eldest nephew and I finished it after his dad, my brother, started the boat and never finished it. After 15 years it should see the water this summer.

• historiophiliac - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Blah, blah, blah, bugs and fish. Sounds terrible. I like my nature in a diamond, thanks.

• cur'68 - Jun 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM

You’d like it. I use larva as bait.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3255)